Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My replacement


So Sunday at the family dinner, I was talking about having to go to court this week. I was in an accident about a month ago, and they could never find my ticket information to have me pay my fine ahead of time, so I had to go to the court date. Anyway, my 7 year old niece overheard me talking, and started asking about it. Never one to miss an opportunity to tease, I told her that I had to go talk to a judge and he was going to decide if I would go to jail or not. She and I had a good laugh, and I didn't think any more about it.

Until that night when I was laying next to Jack to help him go to sleep. He started saying that he didn't want me to leave in the morning, that he loved me, and he would miss me if I was in jail. I realized he must have overheard my conversation with Caroline! So, being the reassuring mommy that I am, I explained that I wouldn't go to jail, I just had to go pay some money (and when I explained that, it seemed a little off- just pay money and you don't have to go to jail. But it is true). But it didn't seem to make him feel any better.


He was still upset, and very worried. He started working through the scenario.

"Mommy go to jail"
"Mommy go to jail, me sad"
"Mommy go to jail, me sad, me no have no mommy"
"Mommy go to jail, me sad, me no have no mommy, have to find new mommy"


Then he came up with the rest of the story. His solution made everything all better, he was happy and fell right to sleep.


"Mommy go to jail, me sad, me no have no mommy, have to find new mommy, Unco Dane be my mommy!"


Nice to know they have it covered if anything happens to me!


And when I went to court the next day, they still couldn't find my ticket and I didn't have to pay. Thank you, Officer Friendly! He was very apologetic when he gave me the ticket, and I can't help but wonder if he lost it on purpose!

8 comments:

Cecilee said...

Too funny! Once again, we are jealous that Unco Dane can't live at our house. Its good to see his picture on your blog. How nice to have someone that your kids love so much.

Melinda & Matt said...

I love that they have a plan :) Glad about no fine for the ticket too!

Rebecca said...

How does Unco Dane feel about taking over the mommy job?

It's great that they couldn't find your ticket! Great news! What a cute and smart boy Jack is!

ali said...

it's good to have a backup. I think my kids would be fine with anyone who had graham crackers and raisins.

(oh, and I'm glad you didn't have to go to jail!)

Kelly said...

Dang you are lucky. I wish the cop had lost my ticket!

Kelly said...

Dang you are lucky. I wish the cop had lost my ticket!

Caroline said...

ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.why why why why ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhb

Adam and Lisa said...

You lucked out with the ticket! I bet Unco Dane is really excited to be the mommy!