Monday, June 23, 2008

Well, since you asked...


I guess I can brag on myself a little! My friend Kayleen asked me to post a pic of my most ambitious quilt project- Many trips around the world. This quilt has over 5,000 1" squares (for you quilters, they are 1" finished, I cut them 1.5") It is a king size quilt, and I did all the piecing and quilting on my machine. I did have a little help with some of the block composition, but most of them are laid out and designed by me.

The pattern is a take off from a traditional "trip around the world", which usually looks something like this:
This pattern shrinks down the size into 'mini trips', then ties them together with a bold, solid color fabric. For mine, I chose a distinctive green. The pattern I had used orange. I think it needs to be something that stands out from the other fabrics, and is distinctive. I also think it is important not to have too many prints or distractions on that fabric. I just went to the quilt store and found a fabric in the clearance bin that would have enough fabric and fit the other requirements.

The blocks are very scrappy- some more than others. I think there is one block for each holiday, one for each color scheme I could think of, I tried to make some that would be very coordinated and symmetrical, and some that were very scrappy and didn't match. I chose not to put a border on it, and used the solid "tie together" fabric for the binding.

This quilt took a long time and a lot of work to put together. I love it, and love that I did it. I have fond memories of Kydon reading "Gone with the Wind" out loud to me while I would sew. I finished it after Abigail was born, and I remember her playing on a blanket while I was sewing and working.



6 comments:

ali said...

wow, that is ambitious!

one of these days, I'd like to make another quilt...

Kayleen said...

Thank you! After 3 years of not seeing this quilt my memory of it was fading and I wanted it back. I'm not sure I will be tackleing this project anytime soon but maybe someday.

Kelly said...

This one is so awesome. I am using your quilts you gave me for my baby. It goes perfectly in his room. I always think of you when I see it. So, I guess I think about you every day.

Mary Kate said...

I am in awe!! What great memories too!!

Elaine said...

That is AWESOME Shanna! I love it. I would love to do something like that...someday...like when I'm old and gray and all the kids are gone. Wow. Beautiful!

Trent Family said...

I love it! I love it! I love it!!!!