Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mmmm... soup!


In the mid-July summer heat, when temperatures hit near 100, and the humidity is sweltering, don't you just feel like a nice bowl of steamy hot soup?

I don't know why, but I have been on a total soup kick lately. Here are two of my favorites:

Garden Vegetable Soup

2/3 c sliced carrot
1/2 c diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fat-free broth
1 1/2 c diced green cabbage
1/2 c green beans
1 T tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c diced zucchini

Spray a large saucepan with non-stick cooking spray, heat. Saute the carrot, onion, and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 min.

Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, about 15 min or until beans are tender.

Stir in the zucchini and heat for 3-4 min.

**This is SO good. The kids eat their entire bowls and ask for more. I always feel very full after eating a bowl of this soup. And so good for you! It also freezes well. It is very easy to double this recipe and freeze 1/2.

Black Bean Soup:

2 c black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
2 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 c chicken broth
1 c jarred salsa

In a crock pot, place the soaked black beans. In a skillet, heat oil and saute onion and garlic together for 3 min or until onion is soft. Add this mixture to the crockpot. Then, add cumin and chicken broth and cook on low all day- about 8 hours. Stir in the salsa just before serving. Top with sour cream and green onions, if desired.


***I always add kielbasa or sausage to this soup. It makes it taste amazing! I also always double this recipe and freeze all but what we will eat in a couple days. I like that it uses the dried beans instead of canned, and my beans have always turned out really good- not too hard, not too soft.

9 comments:

amy said...

Both of these sound good!

amy said...

Oh Im not sure if you know we also have an adoption blog at
www.thechristopherfamily.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

Those both sound so yummy! I love soup! Thanks for the recipes!

TheVillamorFamily said...

I made veggie soup last week!

Is that first one from WW? I use to make it alot and loved it!! It got better as it sat in the fridge:) The recipe has changed though...the one I had didn't have salsa but that sounds so good! I added a packet of onion soup mix to mine for extra flavor.

Mandy-Joe-Chase-James said...

I love soup too! I had a quick question--did we need to register for the conference if we are presenting???? If so I guess I better hurry up and do that!!!!!! Just let me know--thanks.

Shanna said...

Yes- please register! We need accurate counts for food and childcare!

Astarte said...

They DO sound good! I love soup, too. I could live at Panera, and almost entirely on their french onion soup. Mmmmmmm.

Cecilee said...

Thanks for the healthy dinner ideas. I am always searching for some help in that department. Now I'll just have to see if the kids will eat it....

Ok, Jenna is now completely obsessed with Dora. We love her!

Trent Family said...

I'm going to try the black bean soup tonight. I have black beans in a bag and didn't know what to do with them.