Saturday, August 23, 2008

If they held a popularity contest.....

I would totally win. Hands down! Growing up, in school, at church, I was never one of the 'popular' kids. I had great friends, but I always wanted to be really, really popular.

Well, now I am!

Everyone wants to do things with me, talk to me, and follow me around! If I eat something, everyone wants a bite! Because *my* oatmeal tastes WAY better than their oatmeal! If I sit down, at least 3, sometimes 4, other people want to sit right in the same exact spot! They jostle for position, and end up in a combination of on my lap, behind me, and next to me. They want to be as close to me as humanly possible. Because I am just that cool.

If I ever try to leave, or do something on my own, believe me, there is great wailing and crying and some really upset people. They do NOT like me to leave, because I am really, really cool.

In fact, there is such a high demand for my attention and to talk to me that we have established a really intricate system of turn-taking just to talk to me! Everyone has to wait patiently, and when it is their turn, they get to say one sentence. I respond, and then it is the next person's turn. It is the only way we have found to keep peace, because otherwise everyone talks to me at once, and they all scream and yell to try and talk to me the most!

With great popularity, comes great responsibility. I have to bite my tongue when I feel the pain of flying elbows and knees when they are jostling for the closest position to me. I might have to read all the books, and put on all the pajamas, because apparently no one can do it as well as I can. And it is nice that I am the first one they call when there is a problem, day or night, but I do sometimes lose a lot of sleep.

I always wanted to be the most popular girl around, and now I totally am. Yay for me!

12 comments:

Melinda & Matt said...

That's why they say--Be careful what you wish for! Apparently Matt is only a figurehead because I am the only one that can answer questions, fix breakfast, get them dressed, or help them in the middle of the night....too bad I didn't marry someone that was able to do those things! lol

I should clarify--Matt is able to do those things--the kids just don't accept that he can yet!

Kayleen said...

Very cute blog. I can relate!

Colleen said...

Enjoy it now because in about 10 years you will be the least popular person. Nobody will want to be seen with you, talk to you, go places with you or want your opinion. It stays that way until you get to be a grandma!

ali said...

And that's really why we become mothers isn't it?

Rhonda said...

Oh that is just a funny and cute post. I was nodding my head the whole time reading it...thinking I could just copy it to my own blog (but I won't plagerize sp?). I didn't know how hard it would to be so popular.

Loved your review of Breaking Dawn and I too found that combination of two names to be incredibly annoying to continually say/read. Loved the book though.

Also enjoyed the post about Abigail and her first day of school. I felt the same way about Em going to kindergarten. Last year when she could have gone (she is six this month) I wasn't ready and neither was she. This year we were both ready and it's the right time for both of us.

Kelly said...

Yeah, I wasn't very popular in HS either, but my fortunes really changed when I turned 25 and quit my job at the hospital. I have been really "popular" ever since then.

Andy and Jessica said...

well said!!
We are now all getting what we really wanted when we were younger.

Trent Family said...

You are awesome Miss Popular. :)

Astarte said...

Here she comes... Miss Popularity.:)

I, sadly, am unpopular. Well, I'm popular until The Man of the Hour gets here, and then it's all fights to see who gets to sit with Daddy, and tears from whoever has the misfortune to sit with Mommy, because, well, they LOVE Mommy, but Daddy is sooooo.... DADDY, and not Mommy. Yeah. Too much of a good thing, I am, apparently.

I will relish in your accomplishment. :)

Holly Schwendiman said...

ROFL - So true, so true. I could sure do without the popularity when I'm in the bathroom though. What IS it with that room? It's like their sixth sense or something.

Hugs,
Holly

Valeni said...

It's great you are a special mom, and much loved by the family. Hope you have a good time on the camping trip. Wish i was there to help you get ready...but I know you will get everything done OK. Thanks for sharing all your fun blogs. LOL

Melissa said...

Some days I hide from the kids and let DH get them up from naps, while I clean my room or bathroom. If they wake up and don't hear or see me, I must not be home...Try it! You'll have a whole hour of sanity. :)