Friday, August 15, 2008

Tamales

Kydon has been wanting to make tamales for many years. A few months ago, he bought a bag of corn husks, and they have been staring at me ever since. So this week I decided to make them. I used this website. I will have to say that it is a very detailed website, and gives very good directions, but I think it is a case of trying to make something simple, and instead it seemed much more complicated than it actually was. Now that I have done it, I realize it is pretty easy and I will be doing it again! It isn't hard, but there are steps that take a long time, so if you are going to make them, start early in the day.
  1. Cook your meat. I used a slow cooker, so this should be done before you are actually ready to make the tamales. After the meat is cooked and shredded, you mix in some oil and spices. I was hesitant to use the amount of spices in this recipe, so I did everything in about 2/3 of what they said. But it wasn't spicy at all, so next time I will use the full amount. I did this the day before, and just put the meat in the fridge overnight.

  2. When ready to make the tamales, soak the corn husks. It recommends 2 hours, but other things I read said soak for a few minutes. I did the 2 hours, and it was easy to work with.

  3. While the husks were soaking, I made the masa. This was very, very easy. Just a bunch of cornmeal, some oil, more spices, and the broth from cooking the meat.

  4. Spread about 1/2 c masa onto the husk, put a little meat on top, then roll and fold. I think it took me about 10 minutes to make 40 of them.

  5. Stack the tamales in a steamer, then steam for about 2 hours. This was the other step that took a long time. We didn't have to do anything except make sure the water was replenished, but it took a long time.

  6. Eat! We served it with corn and Spanish Rice, and the rice was a big hit.

This made about 40 tamales, and the kids each ate 1/2, Kydon and I ate 2-3 each. So I put the rest in the freezer. From everything I've read, they freeze very well. Another yummy freezer meal!

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Your Dad loves tamales -- but I don't even have the energy to buy them ready made! I'm impressed.

Shanna said...

I will give him some of these!! We have PLENTY!

Jen said...

Mmmmm---I LOVE tamales! I would never have thought to make them myself though...I guess I'm lazy that way. ;) Maybe I'll have to try it one of these days. Did you put anything in the meat while it cooked or did you just season it afterwards?

Shanna said...

In the crock pot, I just covered it with water and cooked it. I put all seasonings on after it was cooked and shredded.

Cecilee said...

Sounds good. We'll have to try those. It will be easier than waiting for our Hispanic neighbors to take mercy on us and bring some over at New Year's.

Rebecca said...

YUMMY!! I may have to try these for Kevin... he loves tamales (I like them too but he LOVES them!)

Valeni said...

Terry had tamales on his mission and really likes them. We will have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like Kydon made some great
homemade tortillas too. you guys are quite the cooks! keep it up!