Monday, September 29, 2008

All that is fine within you


I thoroughly enjoyed attending the women's conference this past weekend (more info here). There was much that was said that really resonated with me, and struck different places in my soul. It was very uplifting, and I left wanting to do more, be better, and try harder.

One phrase in particular really struck me. It was sort-of just said in the middle of a sentence, with no particular importance placed on it, but the phrasing of it was so unusual, and it began to conjure up some images in my head, and I actually spent a lot of time thinking about this one little phrase.

Barbara Thompson said "Rescue all that is fine within you".

I started picturing my creativity and joy drowning in a sea of anger and frustration.

Or my energy and organization stranded on a cliff of procrastination and time-wasting.

Or my faith and hope being suffocated by doubt and fear and worry.

The idea of needing to 'rescue' my finer qualities was quite fascinating to me. Selfishness... laziness... sarcasm... these are not my finer qualities, and I spend far too much time allowing them to surface. I am going to try harder to bring my finer qualities to light, and let my more selfish and lower tendencies die from neglect. What are *your* finer qualities? What is keeping them from shining in your life?

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Thanks for the thought -- I am really thinking about what is keeping my finer qualities sinking in the quicksand of procrastion and self-doubt. I needed that insight.

Elaine said...

Thanks so much for sharing these thoughts Shanna. I love it.

Katie said...

Wow, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for shareing that insight.