Thursday, October 9, 2008

Food Friday: Meals

Random things this week. My water containers came, and I filled them and put them in the basement. When they came, I found 2 bonus features:
  • There was a hidden spigot inside each one! I thought about paying more for one with a spigot, but decided not to. Now I am even more happy with the one I chose!
  • There was a big sticker on the front that said "BPA Free". When I was buying them, I tried several different sites to see if I could find one without BPA, but I wasn't able to find the info. I was SO glad to see they didn't have it!

Another idea for rotating water- take it on camp outs! It is so nice to have a big thing of water on a camp out for drinking, cooking, washing hands, washing dishes, etc. We don't camp all that often, but it will be nice for when we do, and a good way to rotate.

***************************

I am also starting a plan to make a freezer meal once a week. This week I made:

Italian squash and sausage skillet

1 and 1/4 lb uncooked Italian sausage

3 small yellow squash or zucchini (cubed)

1/2 c chopped onion

1 (14.5) oz can stewed tomatoes

2 green onion, tops only, chopped

Brown sausage. Drain and slice. Return to pan and cook until golden brown. Add squash and onions, cook and stir 2-3 min. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 min or until squash is tender.

Serve over rice.

*I use pre-cooked sausage, like kielbasa or something similar. I spray the pan with no-stick spray, saute the onions for a minute, add the zucchini for a minute, then add the rest and heat it up. For freezing, it is best to not over-cook the squash. It will cook a little more when you heat it up, so I try to leave the squash pretty crunchy for the freezer. I tripled this recipe, we had enough for dinner, and enough left over for 2 freezer meals. The kids all liked it and ate more than I thought they would. Kydon added hot sauce, but I liked the flavor just fine.

******************

For the 3 month supply of all the food we would eat, part of my plan will be to have some dinner menus/recipes that I can make using all non-perishable food, then getting enough to make that meal 4-6 times. I found a recipe this week that would work really well- Lemon Chicken Pasta. We all loved this recipe, and it would be pretty simple to have on hand all the things to make it. I will post more when I actually buy the stuff. Right now it is just an idea. If you know of any good recipes that would work for this plan, *please* let me know! The rotation plan will be to make each of the recipes once a month, using the items stored, and replacing them. I will talk more about my ideas for the 3 month supply next week.

6 comments:

Adam and Lisa said...

Look on my recipes blog for beef stir fry. It is awesome and really yummy and super easy.

Shanna said...

Hey! I looked at the link, but it looked like mostly fresh veggies... is there a way to make it that would be good for food storage?

Or were you thinking freezer meal?

colleensewnsew said...

Thanks for the recipes!

Adam and Lisa said...

I was thinking for freezer meals.

Andy and Jessica said...

You have really inspired me to better prepared with our food storage. I really like the idea of freezer dinners too. Where did you buy the water containers on-line?

Shanna said...

I got the water containers from beprepared.com