Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Halloween decorating for (almost) free

I love Halloween! And fall! I saw this decorating idea for the mantle, and I wanted to copy it!! Or at least do something similar. And I saw some really cute front porches, and other ideas, and wanted to copy them all.

So, without spending more than $5, here is my halloween decor!
\
My mantle. I did "splurge" and spend $2 for the spider webbing. I didn't have any from last year, but there is enough to save for next year.

I just printed these images from MS Word clipart onto cardstock, then put them on my picture easels that I use year round. They would probably look better in some black frames, but I didn't want to buy some just for this.

Little spiders that we made with the kids. Just pipe cleaners and pompoms ($2).

Sticks from the yard in a vase I already had. And I really, really wanted the little crow sitting there, so I was going to buy one, but couldn't find it, so I just made it. The only black fabric I had in my bin had white swirlies on it, but it works! I just stuffed him with the scraps from making him, and borrowed some legs from one of our spiders. I love the way he turned out!

I made these really easy pumpkins with carstock and these instructions. They turned out very cute!
This is a wall hanging that I made a few years ago. Good for Halloween and Thanksgiving.

And, my front porch. 3 little scarecrows stuffed with newspaper and sitting on pinestraw that I stole from our flower beds. Of course, the day after I made them, it rained.... I doubt they will last very long!

I want to get some leaves from the trees around here and do something with them. Anyone have a good idea? What are you doing to decorate for the season?

12 comments:

Rebecca said...

Will you tell me how you did the scarecrows? Did you just stuff some clothes? That is CUTE! The boys would love making those! Great job decorating AND not spending $$ We'll definitely be using some of these ideas! Thanks!

Shanna said...

The scarecrows were SO easy. I just took old clothes that they had grown out of and stuffed them with newspaper. I did use some safety pins to attach the shirts to the pants, and then a kitchen towel stuffed with newspaper for the head, then topped off with a hat.

I'm glad you liked them. I almost didn't post a picture, because I couldn't tell if they were cute or just weird! :) I want to put some pumpkins scattered around, but we haven't been to the pumpkin patch yet (this weekend!).

Cecilee said...

LOVE the paper pumpkins. I'll have to try those. I want to do a scarecrow too. I am hoping to get a bale of straw to put him on. Brian's against that idea though so I don't know.... and it will probably cost some money.

Melinda & Matt said...

Love those! Ok--I'm going to copy some of them!

Shanna said...

I wanted to do the straw too... but didn't want to spend the money. I was happy with the pine straw. Before I thought of the pinestraw, I was planning to cover a box with a plaid quilt that I have... anything with fall colors would look good!

Colleen said...

What a clever girl you are. I love your Halloween decorations.

Lisa said...

Collecting fall leaves is my favorite autumn tradition.

I usually press the leaves by carefully laying them between the pages of a heavy phone book. I then put a stack of books on top of the phone book, leave it for a few weeks, and when I'm done the leaves are nice, dry flat, and easy to work with. (Newly-fallen leaves work best--if they're already really dry, they'll just crumble when pressed.

You can make garlands with the leaves by stringing them with a needle and thread. This is too complicated for young kids, though. But the garlands are nice to string around your house.

You can make leaf pictures. Take pieces of wax paper and glue on various kinds of leaves with glue sticks. (Try to use as little glue as possible.) Then frame the paper with colored construction paper and hang them in the window. The light will shine through behind the leaves. Even tiny kids could do this.

This year we are going to try to make all kinds of little people, animals, and other creatures out of pinecones, leaves, seeds, moss, acorns, tiny branches, feathers, nuts in the shell, etc. I did have to make a trip to the craft store to supplement the rather meague offerings of our local canyon, but everything at the craft store was 50% off so it turned out OK. (In our area, I can basically only find a few kinds of leaves, a few acorns if I look really carefully, and maybe one kind of pinecone--I wanted more variety.)

Shanna said...

I like the idea of the garlands- I want to buy some, but making them would be better. And the pinecone creatures sound fun!! I think I will take some glue along to our campout later this month, that will be a great activity for kids!

Rebecca said...

Ohh that will be a good activity for camping! :)

The Clanton Gang said...

Very cute! You've inspired met to get my Halloween stuff out and decorate!

Andy and Jessica said...

I lOVE it!! You are amazing! Thanks for all of the great ideas.

Sue @ My Party of 6 said...

Awesome decorations! I saw on another blog earlier today someone who made "frames" out of black construction paper strips. If you were so inclined, you could do that, but I love those pictures on the mantle! Awesome!