Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Do us all a favor

I went to the polls today. I took a 4 year old and two 3 year olds with me. I dread things like lines, crowds, and no shopping carts or wagons to contain all the children. But I went. While I was there, every single poll worker told me 'thank you'. At first I thought it was strange- why are they telling me thank you? Isn't this my responsibility? They are acting like I am doing them a favor. How strange.

But then I realized..... I am doing them a favor. Just as everyone who makes the effort to vote today is doing us all a favor. Go ahead. Do it. It isn't always easy, or convenient, or the funnest thing in the world, but it is important. Cast your ballot. Make your preference known.

If I can do it, so can you!



5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I only had two kids with me! Great job! It wasn't as bad as I thought... I brought crackers so the hour wait was tolerable. And when we got inside the building Zack was saying "that guy boting... and him. Momma, are they alllll boting?" Made me giggle.

Shanna said...

For the primaries, Kydon and I went together, and took all the kids. They were great, until we left and they never got to go "BOATing"- a little miscommunication there! ;)

Melinda & Matt said...

I kept hoping that someone would feel sorry for me with 3 kids and 8 months pregnant, but no such luck! Luckily my wait was only 45 minutes....although I did have to have a long discussion with my kids after they talked with you about the election....I had to give them the "Everyone gets to make their own choice on what is best for them--just because Nanny thinks one thing or I think one thing doesn't mean it is best for everyone--that is why we all get to vote" It was a good 30-40 minute discussion--good, but I was exhausted!

Kristi said...

We had the same miscommunication today about "boating". Mady really wanted to go on a boat!

Rebecca said...

I am cracking up about the boating! Kids are so funny!! And Melinda we've had those same discussions with the boys... And FWIW I would have let you go ahead of me... I've btdt that with the three kids and being pregnant (well, not with voting, but other stuff.)Anyway, it's hard! I still say it's crazy for the kids to be out of school on election day. Why make it harder for the moms?