Friday, November 28, 2008

Food Friday: Goal Update

Sorry to report there has been no new progress this week. I was planning to make a can-rotation shelf with my Father in law, but we looked at it for a few minutes and decided to postpone the project until Christmas vacation time.

So, instead, I will do a little goal-check/update. It is good to frequently reassess and check up on any progress you are making. This is my 9th food Friday post, so I have been at this for about 2 months. Lets see where I stand!

Goals:
  1. 3 day supply of water (1 gal/person/day) = 15 gal
  2. 30 freezer meals
  3. 3 month supply of non-perishables
  4. 1 year supply of basic necessities

1. I have my 15 gallons, plus an extra 4 liters. I considered this goal done, but I think I may want a little more- mixing powdered milk and cooking from scratch takes quite a bit of water, so I may add in more one day. But for now I do at least have the minimum of 15 gallons.

2. 30 freezer meals: I have 25! Almost there! Once I have my supply of 30, I will start using them a little more often, and that will save me from cooking once or twice a week. I am so excited to be so close!

3. The 3 month supply is a work in progress. I have a few things that I have been buying extra of, and I finished my spreadsheet, so now it is just a matter of time and working to get all the things on my list.

4. The 1 year supply of basic necessities intimidates me. But in the morning I am headed off to can some things. I am going to get wheat, sugar, and powdered milk. It isn't everything, but at least it is a start!

What is the next milestone you are working toward? My next milestones are starting the 1 year supply (that should be good tomorrow), getting to 30 freezer meals, and making progress on the 3 month supply.

2 comments:

Adam and Lisa said...

In your storage, are you including things like toothpaste? If so, go to CVS or Walgreens. If you sign up for their rewards card, you can get stuff for free. You spend a little money up front, but once you have the in store credit, things are seriously free. Ex: I have $21 in store credit at CVS. I bought toothpaste for 3.99. I paid for it with my credit and got 3.99 credit back, so I spent nothing and still have the same amount of credit. It is a good way to stock up on those other things, if you need them.

Shanna said...

I plan to include things like that eventually, but for now I am pretty focused on the food aspect of the storage.

That credit sounds really good! I will have to look into that.