Sunday, December 7, 2008

Food Supply: 1 year of essentials

This past week I made my first step toward my 1 year storage of basic essentials. Here is what The Church (via providentliving.org) recommends for the 1 year storage:

********************************************
For each adult for 1 month you would need:

25 lbs. Wheat, white rice, corn, and other grains

5 lbs. Dry beans

********************************************

So for our family of five, I am taking 1/2 of the recommendation for the kids, and the full amount for Kydon and I. That would mean we need 87.5 lb of wheat, rice, corn and other grains per month, and 17.5 lbs of beans. That is only for one month! Oy. This is why I get overwhelmed when thinking about the 1 year storage.

But I went to the cannery, and I got 10 cans of wheat, 10 cans of sugar, and 10 cans of powdered milk. I am really good at using the powdered milk, so I was excited to get that in my storage. I have already opened the first can, and I know it won't be any problem to rotate it.

This is my first ever time buying wheat! I need to go to my mom's and grind some up, then practice using it. I also made my next appointment for the cannery, so I will go again in March. I plan to save up money, and try to get more wheat, some oats, and possibly a little rice. Also maybe more powdered milk.

Question of the week: Does anyone know how much the #10 cans weigh? I am not sure how to translate lbs needed into how many cans I need.

Links about long term storage:

What and how much to store- provident living

What you can make using your long term storage items: Food list

Have you made any progress this week? Any ideas for what I should work on this coming week?

6 comments:

Kayleen said...

What do you use the powdered milk for? Regular drinking milk?

Dane said...

I use it in baking all the time- anytime a recipe calls for milk, I mix some up. Pancakes, macaroni and cheese, etc. I sometimes mix it in with our regular milk to stretch it, but Kydon dosen't like the taste when I do that. The kids don't usually notice, and I don't usually drink milk.

amy said...

I have seriously got to figure out what you are doing..Im going to research old posts..This is very cool

Melinda and Matt said...

Here are a few weights:
Flour (white) 4.8 lbs.
Macaroni 3.4 lbs.
Sugar 6.1 lbs.
Wheat 5.8 lbs.
Pinto Beans 5.0 lbs.
Dry Milk 4.1 lbs.
Rice (white) 5.7 lbs.
Quick Oats 2.8 lbs.
Potatoes Pearls 3.4 lbs. (Slices & powdered will be different)

But, if you go to the order form on providentliving.com
http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,8133-1-4352-1,00.html

It has the weight of each item listed next to the price.

Jen said...

Have you seen the blender wheat pancake recipe where you can put the whole wheat right into your blender? It's great for rotating wheat especially if you don't have a grinder available it also uses powdered milk, and honey from food storage.

Shanna said...

I just saw a recipe for that today when I was browsing around! That is so funny. We eat a ton of pancakes, so I will be trying that one out! Thanks! :)