Thursday, December 25, 2008

My hand-made Christmas

I had so much fun this year making most of our presents! Most of the things I made turned out really, really cute, and they cost me almost nothing. Bonus!

Abigail has been wanting to put on puppet shows, so I made her a couple of wooden spoon puppets. They turned out WAY better than I thought! I have more supplies, and I want to make more- I just ran out of time to do it before Christmas. But I had 2 wooden spoon puppets, plus some laminated cut-outs mounted on popsicle sticks, a $4 puppet theater from Ikea, and she was one happy camper!

Jack and Aidan each got a fishing game. I almost didn't do this one, but I had all the stuff, and so at the last minute I went for it. So easy and cute! The blog I found this on said she made it as a party favor for her son's bday party. I bet it wasn't any harder than making those bags full of cheap things, and it would be so fun to get them!

Abigail also got one of these dress-up skirts. I usually score a bunch of Halloween costumes on clearance for her dress-up stuff, but I didn't get any this year. This was fun, easy, and didn't require any sewing. I might go back and add some ribbons and flowers around the waist.

I also made Abigail a twirly skirt. Very easy to make, and I was able to make it a little longer, since she is tall and active, and most skirts just end up being... well... not very modest. This one turned out perfect! I might make another one for her birthday (shhh... don't tell!). Did you notice that it matches her puppet? How cute am I?? ;)

My sister and I worked together to make our mom and Kydon's mom some hand-made hot pads with family recipes printed on them, and some hand towels with the hand prints from the kids.
One of my favorite projects were these felt boards. I made one for each of my kids, and one for the local cousins that we drew names for. It took a little time to cut all the felt, but it was so worth it! Abigail pulled hers out to play with, and I also spied her cousin playing with his several times during the day.

I used my knifty knitter to make each of the kids a stocking cap. Abigail and Aidan were like 'sure, whatever'. But Jack took one look at his and said "I no like that". He wouldn't even put it on to try it. And he was the one I thought would be most excited, since it would give him one more item in orange. Oh well- you can't win them all!
These bean bags were so easy to whip out! I made about 24 (and by about I mean exactly). We had fun this morning throwing, catching, trying to toss them into pots and pans, trying to slide them closest to something without touching, and I think they were only used to pelt a sibling once.

I made the non-local cousins little notebook covers. Personalized with their initials, and filled with a blank notebook and colored pencils. I think they turned out adorable!


I was going to make 3 more and give them to my kids too, but Abigail told me they were 'boring', so I didn't finish them. Maybe one day...

I can't believe I actually did them all! Every one that I wanted to do got done! I started early, of course- back in September. I am already on the lookout for next year. I have an idea for the parents.... :) If you see anything cute, or have any good ideas, please let me know!

12 comments:

Adam and Lisa said...

Wow! I love them all!!! I am impressed you did them all! I thought I was doing well with the pillow cases and taggie blankets. And I have been playing with the felt board! :)

Kelly said...

Dang, you seriously rock. That is great. I got a homemade present this year from Rinar's brother and wife and it is so cool. I will blog about it later. YOu might consider it for next year also. They are the best presents ever...homemade.

Lisa said...

Good for you! I did a lot of handmade things last year and got burnt out on it. But I think I'm ready to go for next year!

This year the only thing we did, which we had not originally planned on, was to build a play kitchen for Sariah. It turned out perfectly,and it was so much fun to work on a project with dh.

I love the blue skirt you made--I'm thinking of making Sariah a fairy skirt for her birthday.

I like the felt boards too, and the notebook covers.

Lisa said...

Good for you! I did a lot of handmade things last year and got burnt out on it. But I think I'm ready to go for next year!

This year the only thing we did, which we had not originally planned on, was to build a play kitchen for Sariah. It turned out perfectly,and it was so much fun to work on a project with dh.

I love the blue skirt you made--I'm thinking of making Sariah a fairy skirt for her birthday.

I like the felt boards too, and the notebook covers.

Kayleen said...

Very creative! You need to check out my friends craft blog, http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/.

Your stuff is right along with things they do to.

Rebecca said...

Sooooo cute! You did a great job! Might have to put those tutus on the list for my neices next year! SO adorable!

Sue @ My Party of 6 said...

So cute! I'm totally impressed!

Valeni said...

I just looked at all your projects and am so impressed! You told me you had made everything but I didn't know what they were until today. Very cute ideas and I love the stamped hand towels and potholders you did for me. Thanks for being YOU Shanna. You have lots of talent!

The Petersons said...

WOW!! Where did you find the time for all of that? I'm so impressed. You've inspired me to do better next year. Maybe if I start now?

Rachel said...

I love the little notebook covers you did for the kids! We've been doing a lot with school type things and this is great! Thank you soooo much!

thetallgrl said...

How did you make the blue tulle tutu? I'm thinking I want to make some for Caralie's b-day coming up. I love the no-sew notion!

Chanelle

Caroline said...

so cute![LOL]