Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Only sort-of complaining

I started out to write a complaining post. You know, all the kids were up and down last night, which means that I was up and down, so I'm tired and a little cranky, and they are tired and a little cranky. I am facing a mountain of laundry. Among other things that need to get done.

But as I started to write that post, I just wasn't feeling the angst. Yes, I'm tired. Yes, we've had numerous time-outs, and it isn't even 8 am yet. Yes, I have a lot of laundry and cleaning facing me. But you know, I am still ok. I like my work. Even on the hard days, there is nothing I would rather be doing. Within all the chaos and tantrums, there are moments of joy, like when I told Aidan (who has been sad and crying all morning) there were 17 days until Christmas, and he got excited and ran around yelling and shouting for joy. And when they fight about who gets to go to whom's birthday party and who does or does not get to eat cake while there. They are fighting because they don't want to be left out of the moments of each others life.

I am grateful this morning that there are kids who need me at all hours of the night and day. Who look to me for guidance and discipline. Who tax my mind, heart and soul, and require me to be more patient, more loving, and more creative than I was yesterday. I am grateful for a house full of people who play and work hard and get clothes dirty enough to fill my numerous baskets every day. It is the hardest, most non-stop work I've ever done, and I wouldn't trade it for a life of leisure.

8 comments:

ali said...

crazy isn't it? I always feel that way when I go away from the kids. I always think "So this is what my life would be like without them" and it always feels so empty.

But of course, that's why it's important to get away, so that we appreciate them more, right? ;)

Holly Schwendiman said...

You go girl. Somehow I know so well all the emotions you just wrote of.

Hugs,
Holly

Rebecca said...

You have such a great perspective on things!! Great job! (And I hope the day gets better!

mommymuse said...

I hear ya! In all its mucky, noisy glory, I wouldn't trade mommyhood for ANYTHING!!!

Kimberly said...

Amen!

Elaine said...

amen, too!

Astarte said...

Definitely. I read a lot of posts about infertility and adoption, and they remind me to be grateful every day. Thank heavens for my littler turnips.

Shanna said...

Ali- I feel the same. Kydon gave me a 'kid free' weekend recently. It was wonderful, peaceful, quiet, and I got a ton of things done. But it was all so boring! And just, empty, like you said! Thank goodness for our full and busy lives! Now... off to do more laundry!