Thursday, January 29, 2009

Food Friday: I am nothing if not obsessive

I have had about 5 food storage posts rolling around in my head this week. I've forced myself not to post about it all until today, but if you noticed the lack of good posts this week, it is because I only want to talk about food storage (yes, I know I'm weird). It reminds me of when I was potty-training the boys, and posted 5-6 times per day on our progress. What can I say- I am a little obsessive.


Anyway, here we go with the mammoth many-subject food Friday post!


*****

3 month storage plan:


Making such great progress on my 3 month storage last week really got me motivated and excited to go ahead and finish it up! So I took this weeks grocery money (more on that in a minute) and bought more from my list. I foolishly thought I would be able to get most of it completed. I came home from my shopping trip, started checking things off my list, and realized I still have a loooooong way to go.


I figured it up, and I currently have somewhere around 25% of what I need. I was feeling kind of bad about that, since I felt like I had done so much more, with 2 big shopping trips under my belt.


But then it dawned on me that there is NO WAY we could feed our family for 3 months on just what I had spent. It makes sense that a 3 month supply of food would cost somewhere close to 3 months worth of food. Somewhat cheaper, of course, because it is a lot of beans, rice, and not a lot of meat, but still more than what I have spent so far.


So, I am feeling better. I have a long way to go, but at least there is progress. 25% means I am close to having one month fully supplied! That is a better way to think of it.


*****

Inventory, rotation, and replenishment


I decided this week how to keep track of my 3 month storage food. You may remember that I'm a little paranoid about making sure we are eating the food that we store. So I have been trying to figure out the easiest and simplest way to keep up with all the food I am buying. I came up with a plan that I hope will be easy and simple enough for me to manage. 4 x a year, (once per quarter), I am going to take my 3 month list and do an inventory. I will look at all my food, see what is missing, and check for items that will expire in the next 6 months. Any that are close to expiring, I will bring up, put in my pantry on a easily-viewable shelf, and try to use those items quickly.


Any missing items will be placed on the grocery list and replenished as I can.


As I buy each item, I am marking them with the expiration date so that I can do this process quickly without straining and examining each can to see the expiration date.



*****

Food Supply: Give and Take


As I mentioned above, I used our grocery money to stock up on some storage/supply items. This is nice because now I have a lot of the things that I need to make a lot of food storage recipes. But it also meant that we didn't have a lot of food in the fridge this week. So I supplemented with our freezer meals, and didn't make any to replenish them. So my freezer meal supply is a little down right now. Maybe around 20-23, instead of the 30 I want to have.


But it seems like it is just give and take. One category gets better, and another gets worse. But *overall*, I have made a lot of progress. Maybe next week I will try to stock up my freezer meals again.


Some good recipes that I have tried and liked this week that use mainly non-perishable food:


Chicken Pesto Pasta

English Muffins

Peanut Butter Balls

We tried Tomato Basil Bisque last night. I thought it was good. Kydon said "don't make that again". Dane wisely kept his opinion to himself. :) I also tried Soda Bread. It looked fabulous, until we cut into it and the middle was like a big ball of dough. Oops. Also, the flavor was a little weird. We probably won't make that one again either.


*****

Another Food Storage Option


We sometimes joke that Scout getting fatter helps us with our food storage goals!


Kydon said if I am really serious about food storage, I should get chickens. I told him I'm not that serious. But if there is ever an emergency, Scout better watch her back.


*****

I was going to finish by posting some links to some good can rotation shelf ideas, but I think I will save it for next week. Have a great week, everybody! Is there something you can do TODAY that will help you achieve something you are trying to do?



"Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing" (Doctrine and Covenants 109:8).

4 comments:

camille said...

Wow- I can't believe how HUGE Scout is!! I remember when he was just a little kitten...

Good job with the food storage Shanna! I am very impressed. I would be shamed if you ever came and investigated my cupboards.

erika said...

You continually amaze me Shanna! I need to be more prepared for sure. I loved what you said about something we could do today to bring us closer to our goal.

On a somewhat related note, my MIL sent me this link, you might enjoy watching it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTVECvTYpN0

Mary Kate said...

In the Philippines they actually eat dogs....so we tease that Cricket(our 13 year old poodle) would be the first to go....although she is probably pretty tough since she is old! Watch out Pongo(our newest addition-a 5 year old poodle)! ha!

Great job on the storage! I did look at the list of things I need for my emergency binder...hopefully I can get some stuff copied this week!

Astarte said...

I think that cat is her own personal storage system!!!! Holy crap, what a huge cat!!!! I love the look on her face, too. Cats are SO FUNNY. We get a lot of laughs at our Sasha's expense, too. Their expressions are just priceless.