Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Only a quilter would understand

I wanted a little quilt block to put on my end tables in my front room to protect the tables from drinks, cars, trucks, and lamps. I thought it would look cute to just make a nice block, put a couple of borders on, and quilt it. Simple, right?

My problem was that I let Kydon make the final block decision. I had two blocks, both pretty similar, and I was debating which one to do. I asked Kydon what he thought, and he chose the harder one. Of course. I would have looked at them with my lazy quilters eye and picked the other one, but since he liked this one, I went for it. I only had to make 2 little blocks. How hard could it be?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Once I looked at the instructions, I realized it required a template piece. **Shudder** I hate templates. But it is only 2 blocks, right? So I continued on. I cut out the bugger template pieces. All 16. Then I realized I cut them out of the wrong color. Grrrr. So I did it again. All 16. Out of the right color this time. Then I tried to sew them on, and realized that 1/2 of them are backwards, since I left my fabric folded over, which you can easily do with normal cutting, but you can't do with template cutting. So I went back and cut 8 more of these buggers. I finally get them all sewn on (all 16), and realize I had matched the wrong corner. On all of them. Did I mention there were 16?? So I unpicked them (all 16), and re-sewed them (all 16).

But... I pushed through all the frustration. I kept going even when I read to the part of the instructions that mentioned partial seams (**shudder**). And I have to say, it is one of the better blocks I have ever done!

The points are beautiful!



The ring is just how I pictured it, and I almost can't believe how exact and flat it turned out! I am so proud! I just have to add the borders and quilt, which should be quick. (Did I just jinx myself by saying that? I hope not!)

So, if you come to visit, please take a moment to admire the difficulty of my fancy coasters.

"Wow, is that a template piece for the red?" (said with awe) or "Did you have to use partial seams for that?" would be appropriate comments. Then set your drink or whatever on them, because that really is what they are there for. :)

8 comments:

Melinda and Matt said...

It looks incredible and I totally give you props for not scrapping the whole thing and doing the easier one!

colleensewnsew said...

They turned out beautiful -- I will just have to hold my drink, because I don't want to ruin such a great looking block! Congrats for sticking with it.

Rebecca said...

That looks amazing!!! WTG!

Sarah said...

It really is a beautiful block. Good job.

Jen said...

Those look great! Your story is exactly why I don't quilt...I'm fairly certain that kind of thing would happen to me EVERY time I tried. :)

Trent Family said...

Love the block! It turned out great! I claim to love quilting but on tough patterns I run the other way. Great job!

Emily said...

You lost me at " I wanted a quilt block...." But I'm certain my mom would be mucho impressed. It does look good, but that's not saying much, coming from me!!!

Emily said...

You lost me at " I wanted a quilt block...." But I'm certain my mom would be mucho impressed. It does look good, but that's not saying much, coming from me!!!