Monday, February 2, 2009

Craft it Forward

I have recently found a new craft site that I have really been enjoying- Imperfectly Beautiful. Amanda has really great ideas and good tutorials.

Today she had a game called 'craft it forward'- the first three people to leave a comment would get a handmade item from her. I'm not sure how it happened, but I was the first to leave a comment! (Maybe because my kids get up around 5 am??? That might be why...) And I won! So now I get to pick a craft and have the same game on my blog!

Here is what I picked to make:

It is a small quilted flag- I think about 10" x 15". It will be somewhat different than the one pictured, because I will put my own fabrics and flair into it, but the above picture is my inspiration. You could hang it on a wall, or set it on a table, put it under something, behind something, whatever you want!
I got the idea from one of my favorite quilting books- Patriotic Little Quilts. After September 11, the owners of my fabulous somewhat-local quilt shop (Little Quilts) gathered small patriotic quilts and sent them to the families of the victims. The first few pages of this book showcase some of the thousands (!) of quilts they recieved, and then they used a few of them to give quilt patterns, which makes up the rest of the book. I love this book, both because of the message of hope and patriotism, and also because the patterns and inspirations are just so.darn.cute.

I will make 3 to give away... and 1 more to keep! :)

I am going to change the rules just a little... instead of the first 3, I will pick 3 people at random to win. All you have to do is leave a comment! If you want to play on your own blog, you can, but if you don't want to, that is ok- you can still win!

I will pick the winner on Friday... so leave me a comment before then!

23 comments:

erika said...

Ooooh I love all of your quilts so count me into the lottery :)

Melinda and Matt said...

I'll join--I might even do it on my blog...though a craft from me might scare people away!

Shanna said...

You could 'order' one from Caroline! ;)

Merilee said...

Count me in, however I don't have a knack for "crafting", perhaps I can do something else though!

Opp Family said...

A cute quilted American Flag would go perfect in my Americana house :) Great idea!

Kayleen said...

Can't pass up a chance to win a quilt from Shanna!

Adam and Lisa said...

Me me me!!

Katie said...

I want to win a beautiful Shanna-craft! I think you are amazing, you have so much talent. (I'm not just saying this so I can win...unless it helps!j/k:)

Rebecca said...

Ohh what an awesome idea!!

sarah said...

That is quilt is amazing! I want to get back into quilting. I love seeing all the colors come together. You did such a nice job!

I have idea I want to try when I get a little time. I'll have to ask your advice on it later!

Have an awesome day!

Christine said...

Count me in! :)

mommymuse said...

You are so creative! PS--if I win can I do toilet paper roll crafts on my blog? ;)

Jen said...

You are such a good quilter. I hope I win, but don't have any idea what craft I'd do on my blog...

camille said...

Wow if only I could be the proud owner of a Shanna quilt....

TheVillamorFamily said...

sure! count me in! Maybe Keisha would like to play too:)

Da-Oh said...

Shanna, you are a little treasure trove of talents that I didn't even know about. We have to have craft day together sometime. If I win, then this could be one of my first posts to get my rear in gear. Thanks for being you!!!

Valeni said...

I love little crafty things although i don't do a lot myself. Thanks for sharing your talents with others...it looks very cute!

Jessica said...

I love this! I would love to play along. I think I will also do a contest on my blog. . .I hope I win, I love that flag quilt. :-)

Jennifer said...

Put my name in, that is if I'm not disqualified for winning the adoption question contest.

Kydon said...

I just want to see if I win... you can disqualify me if you want. :-)

Trent Family said...

For shizzy, I'm in! I love quilts and quilty projects!

Kim said...

I'd love to win your beautiful quilt! Count me in:)

Cecilee said...

Shanna, how do you find the time?? Wish I were as motivated as you are.