Thursday, March 19, 2009

Baby Hunger

Today I got to babysit my cute little niece, Ellie. Between a sister in law who lives in the same neighborhood, and a grandma close by, I don't often get the chance.

Okay, so last time I was asked to babysit I totally forgot about it and went to the park with the kids and forgot to bring my cellphone, and came home to a message saying "Uh, Shanna? I am at your house.... where are you?" So maybe that is why I don't get asked, but whatever.

Anyway, Aidan especially loves his little cousin, and they were all excited to see her and play with her and see her crawl. I was excited to get some baby snuggles in.

When she first arrived, she was a little nervous, and slightly fussy, and probably freaked out to have Mommy gone and 3 wild animals cramming into her line of vision. So we put her in the stroller and went for a walk. My 3 were walking so wonderfully, talking to Ellie, taking turns helping to push the stroller, just being completely wonderful. It was bliss. (We don't often experience bliss when taking a walk). I was watching how much they all loved her, and how helpful they all were, and how cute she was, and my mind started to wander.....

It might not be too bad to have another baby around the house.... look how much help they all are! And how much they love her.... it might be kind of fun to have another little girl... hmm... look how easy this is.... 4 kids isn't that many.... hmmm.....

We got home, and I was still reveling in the blissfullness of the walk, and how cute they all were. Then Ellie started to cry. And I had to carry and hold her. And cry some more. And then I tried to send the kids out, and something happened involving seeing a red wasp (they are completely freaked out about them since I got stung- and no, we still haven't found the nest) and they called for me, but I didn't come, and that was the end of the world.

I tried to feed Ellie some finger food by putting the bowl in front of her. Which she spilled all over, and I thought "Duh! She is not even 1 yet! What are you thinking?" So I got out the vacuum and cleaned it up, while holding her, and pushing aside the other crying children. Then I tried to feed her some baby food. I remembered about putting bibs on babies about 10 seconds after it leaked out of her mouth all over her shirt. oops. Sorry, Lisa! I was thinking "Hello, I had THREE babies!! This was second nature to me! How could I make such a dumb, rookie mistake?"

Then I set her down for a second and she fell and bumped her head on our hardwood floors. Ouch. And I started thinking about teaching a baby all the things- lean over your bowl to eat. Don't spill. Walk. Get dressed. Use the potty. Baby clothes. Teething. Formula. Sleep schedules (or lack of sleep schedules, which is even worse). I think I have blocked it all out.

And all of a sudden, the baby hunger is gone. Poof. Vanished.

Kydon will be relieved.

And Lisa probably won't ask me to babysit again after she reads this. :)

6 comments:

Merilee said...

Seriously, since I know that we can't have more--sometimes I really want another one, and even dream about how much fun it would be. My kids are older, and they would LOVE it! THEN I think about all of the stuff you just listed, and think...I am way too old to be starting over, and I am at a really good place with my kids right now, and holy cow there is no way I could get up with them in the night...
Good thing we get to babysit often :)

ali said...

all it takes for me is to see a pregnant woman on TV! I can't even get past that stage!!

Kim said...

I got to babysit a neighbor's little boy the other day which made me realize how quickly I too have forgotten all the baby stuff. He seemed to be a "standing baby" which we affectionately call them, so I was walking with him most of the time. With our #4 on the way I'm hoping I can handle it all again:) But I guess I can't say I didn't know what I was getting into. Ready or not! right?

Adam and Lisa said...

I was going to call you to see how it went, since Adam picked her up. But now I know! :) Don't worry about it, she gets plenty of head bumps and spilled food and stained clothes at our house. I just feel bad that she was fussy for you. She has been doing so much better with being babysat that I was hoping she'd be ok, but maybe because she's not used to your house. She has magical powers, that baby - creating then curing baby fever all in just a few hours!!

Jennifer said...

Yes that picture of her lulls you into thinking nothing could possibly go wrong. I am envious that I don't get any babysitting duties.

mommymuse said...

I hear ya! I periodically have those temporary moments of insanity, too. Luckily borrowing babies at church keeps the baby addiction at bay. Most of the time.