Friday, March 6, 2009

Food Friday: Already reaping the benefits

I was thinking about doing an update of my goals today, but I think that might be more frustrating than helpful. I need more water, I have less than 1/2 of my 3 month supply, almost no long term storage, and my freezer meals are getting close to being gone. Well, I guess I just updated my goals anyway.

I know I am making progress, and I know I will get there eventually, but it is pretty slow going overall.

But I decided instead to focus on the positives. So I'm going to talk about the benefits of having food on hand, even the small amount that I have managed to gather.

It is wonderful to know that I can cook a healthy dinner, even if I haven't been to the grocery store in a long time. I never have to 'run to the store' to get ingredients, because they are already on hand. I have felt the most amazing sense of peace of mind just having that food in my pantry and basement. It has taken me years and years to accept this counsel to have a supply of food in your home, but now that I have *finally* started getting my act together, it really has made my life easier.

Isn't that always the way? We are given things to do that seem to us like a lot of work and trouble, but if we just do them, we are blessed and find out that it helps us so much to follow that counsel.

There have been so many nights that I was out of food, didn't know what to cook for dinner, and I just glanced at my list of food-storage friendly list of recipes and picked something that I had all the ingredients for, then pulled dinner together. So much better (and cheaper) than running to the store or going out to eat like we might have done in the past.

New recipes this week:
  • Chicken Tetrazzini I didn't have evaporated milk, so I just used 2/3 c powdered milk and 3/4 c. water. I had leftover chicken in the freezer, but canned would have worked just as well. The kids thought it was macaroni and cheese, and ate it up as fast as they could. I think it would be easy to throw in some broccoli or peas or something, but it was good as-is.
  • Curried Lentils and Rice Kydon loves Indian food, and he was quite pleased with this one. I was pleased that it only took about 20 min start to finish.

1 comment:

Laine said...

i love these recipe links. I think i'll try one for dinner tonight!