Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 4: Cloudbreak

Day 4 of our no TV experiment. The sunshine has finally begun to break through the clouds!

The did make more messes than they might normally, but that is because they have been playing more. Nothing like day one, thank goodness. I think the worst thing they got into today was going into my room and trying on all my shoes. It was actually pretty cute.

I was only asked one time if they could watch TV. Today was what I had been hoping would happen- they played, we had outside time, they did little art projects, play doh, chased each other around the house on bikes (yes, I said in the house on bikes), threw water balloons at the red hornets (still haven't found that stupid nest), and just *played*. Their imaginations were at work, and they weren't just sitting around begging for the next show.

There was some bickering of course, but nothing too dramatic or out of control. Finally, I feel like we are at a normal state of being. Not too screen deprived or out of control, just normal.

And, now that we have reached normal, we will leave in the morning for an out of town trip full of fun, late nights, long drives, and some TV watching. I haven't decided when we will resume the TV. For the adults, I'm sure the tube will be on Sunday night when we get home and get the kids in bed. For the kids, I'm not so sure. What do you think I should do?

3 comments:

ali said...

I don't know, but I'm impressed! Way to go! Seems like the perfect time to implement TV rules to me :)

Kelly said...

I think you have made great strides. Congratulations! Maybe you should let them watch tv like every other day. M,W,F...or something like that. You know, tv isn't a daily thing. Then it is not a routine. You could try that.

Nemmer said...

We went on a TV strike about a year ago, too. We had zero tv for 2 weeks, then after that, we made him earn tv time. So he can get a half-hour pbs show for finishing school, and another for doing daily chores. Some days I'm better at enforcing than others, but for the most part, I try to keep it restricted to an hour a day or less. Some people do no tv on weekdays, but allow some on weekends. There are lots of good ways to do it. Good luck deciding what works for your family!