Saturday, April 4, 2009

Food Friday: A few tips

This week I have continued to finish buying my 3 month storage items. I am above 90%, and I'm just trying to get those last few things.

A few people have told me some tips and tricks, so I thought I would share them with all of you. First, I have several 5 gallon buckets. You can buy a gamma-seal lid to put on them, which seals them up nicely and makes it pretty easy to get into/out of your buckets. I have 3 buckets filled with flour, and 2 with sugar. Those are things that I want to have in my storage, but I go through them quickly enough that I don't feel like I need to can them.

Anyway, I just purchased 2 buckets, and then all kinds of people started telling where to find them for *free*! You still have to buy the lids, but I paid about $7 for my buckets, and I could have saved that! There is a bread store in Woodstock, GA where you can ask them for their leftover buckets (if you don't live near here, see if there is a breadstore nearby). The other resource was any store with a bakery- like a grocery store or whatever, ask for their leftover icing buckets. They come in several sizes- 5 gal, 6 gal, 3.5 gal, etc, and they just throw them away or recycle them. The gamma seal lids will fit on them, so that is a great idea.

My last tip: My friend was in Sam's Club, and found a 50 lb bag of popcorn! Popcorn stores great, is easy and fun to make and eat, and is an excellent source of whole grain. If you get one of these bags, put it in a free bucket with a gamma seal lid, you will be 50 lbs closer to your 1 year supply of grains!

Benefits of popcorn:
  • 4 grams of protein
  • 120 calories
  • 1.5 grams of the good fat
  • 6 grams of fiber
  • It is rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B

See this post for instructions on how to pop popcorn in your microwave without the chemicals!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

I love reading your blog and your food storage has really inspired me to try and start one of my own. Thank you for telling us about the gamma seals, I had no idea!