Monday, April 6, 2009

The 'No' Song

You know when your kids ask you something, and you say "no", and then they just ask you again and again a million times until you go crazy? (I hope it isn't just mine!)

I figured out a way to stop the non-stop question repeating. They ask the first time, and I say 'no'. When they ask the second time, I say "I already said no. If you ask me again, I will sing the No Song". If they ask a third time, I pull out my best falsetto annoying singing voice, and sing this:

No, no, no, no, no,
I already told you no.
I said no a hundred times,
And still,
I still say no.

Sorry I can't give you the tune. But it is very, very effective in stopping the incessant questions.

The other day we were in the car, and Abigail told me she had some new words that I could use to sing my song. I was very intrigued, and asked her what they were. Here is what she came up with:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes,
I already told you yes.
I said yes a hundred times,
And still,
I still say yes.

I thought that was funny and genius! I'm sure they would LOVE it if I sang the 'new and improved' version!

5 comments:

Adam and Lisa said...

The tune is to "Rejoice, the Lord is King" (from the hymn book!) :)

Shanna said...

Ha, ha! I knew it came from somewhere, but I never would have been able to identify it! Thanks!

ali said...

yes, my kids do that too. My response isn't quite as fun, I tell them that I don't answer questions that I've already taken the time to answer, and then I ignore it. It takes a LOT of self control ;)

Valeni said...

I'm glad Lisa knew the tune...that is a cute way to lighten up when you have to say "no." Somewhere I read that it's good to say "yes" as much as you can though. I like Abigail's genius in changing the words.

Jennifer said...

You could make a deal, you can sing the yes song sometimes and Abigail can sing it when you ask her to do something like clean her room :)