Monday, May 4, 2009

I can do it!!

No, not the kids... me!

I have a tendency to believe I can do things easier myself. Sometimes, I am right, but sometimes, I'm not...

Like doing our own taxes. I probably should hire someone. But I insist on doing it myself.

I decided they need swimming lessons this summer. I looked into lessons at a few local pools. But to get 3 kids signed up? Is expensive. So then I thought it might be cheaper to just hire some teenager to teach my 3 their own lessons- sort of a private lesson kind of thing. I started looking for someone to do it, and I thought "forget it- I bet I could do it myself"! I googled it, and guess what? It looks really easy! That is our plan for the summer- swim lessons with Mommy.

Now Jack and Aidan need speech therapy. They speak a lot, but no one except for me (and Abigail) can understand them. I started calling all these places, a huge list of ST offices, and it is going to be such a pain! Finding one in the right insurance network, taking them to visits, figuring out what to do with Abigail... yikes.

Last night I was talking to Kydon, and I was getting ideas in my head... I could do it myself! I am a nurse. I worked for 2 years on a Rehab floor that had a lot of ST (I didn't actually do anything with ST, or even see them work, but I was on the same floor- shouldn't that count?). I know how to google and read wikipedia articles. And there is the endlessly helpful youtube. I mean, come on- what more do you need?

Don't you think I could do it myself?? Or would it be a complete disaster??

12 comments:

Melinda and Matt said...

I think you can do it--besides if it doesn't work then you are no worse off than you are now.....

Lisa said...

You sound like me!

If you decide to do the speech, if their problems are with articulation, I can give you some ideas of what we did when Dallin was in speech therapy.

ali said...

I'm afraid I can't be objective because I suffer from the same illness ;)

but most of the time for me it's "I can't believe they are charging that much for THAT! I can make that for so much cheaper!"

Katie said...

You can totally do it. I go to ST with Ethan ALL THE TIME, and it isn't that hard once you learn what you are doing. The main thing is that you really do need to know what you are doing. Get really educated first. There are a lot of resources out there. Oh, and could you come to Utah and teach my kids how to swim? Thanks:)

Kelly said...

It is always worth a try. My swimming lessons for the kids involved me sitting by the pool makng sure that they didn't drown. With lots of practice, they can swim. Voila!

Adam and Lisa said...

Go to the School Box and get some books or games. That should help. The only thing that may be tricky on your own is diagnosing what they need to work on. Having sat in on SLP meetings/testing, it is a lot more involved than it seems at first. But worse case is they don't get any better and you send them to someone later on. And doing it on your own won't make them any worse, even if you aren't able to diagnose the exact sounds they need. YOU CAN DO IT!

The Clanton Gang said...

Mmmmm...I'm the odd-man out here, but I think you need a professional speech pathologist. They've had such extensive, intensive training to diagnose and help correct any issues your boys might have.

Have you taken the boys to get tested through the public schools? If they qualify, the school system has to provide services.

Rachel said...

I have a bachelor's degree in speech therapy and I wouldn't even begin to feel comfortable doing any therapy. Articulation would be the easiest thing to work on but you don't really know if that's the problem. It's really complicated to figure out what is age appropriate and what is not. Language problems become even more involved. It's hard to keep a kid motivated and working when you are the mom and already have a relationship with the child. I personally know several speech therapists who have their friends work with their children. I have lots of books though if you really want to try it. Let me know and I can bring the best ones to the wedding. A tape recorder is a good idea too when you are analyzing their speech.

Rachel said...

By the way this is Erik talking not Rachel. I forgot I am signed in under her name.

Mary Kate said...

I was going to say what Wendy said....they can be tested through the public schools at early ages(i am thinking 3 but I know PT and OT can be done before that age. I just did a referral for one of my preschool children. Call the Board of Education and tell them your concern and they can get you connected with the right people...or at least get you on the right path. For our referral we had to take notes over a certain period of time before sending in the forms so you could start jotting down the sounds they can/can't pronounce.

A lot of the issues my preschool child had were worked out once she started preschool with me. Not that I had anything directly to do with it but just her being around different children and participating in our phonics curriculum cleared up a lot.

The Petersons said...

You should talk to Kim! (The Woodland Drive Kim.) I'm pretty sure this is what she does for a living! (Speech therapy)

Sue @ My Party of 6 said...

I say both. Some of ST is very practical stuff like having them look at YOUR mouth when you are talking and working on various sounds. But some of it is stuff that I never in a million years would have though of.

Hopefully they would qualify for early intervention? Which would take awhile to set up, but I say, get started on your own and then team up with a therapist if they qualify! (If you have to pay out of pocket... I might see if doing it on your own helps, but again, I found the help of a ST invaluable. But I think it all depends on what the issue is. We had some big issues.)