Saturday, May 2, 2009

Laundry Soap

Several months ago, I saw a blog post about making your own laundry soap. I immediately dismissed the idea, and went about my bloggy way. I do a lot of laundry around here, and it just seemed kind of silly to make my own. But then I ran out and had to buy a new bucket. Laundry soap is so expensive!! So then I came home, and reread the post, and thought about it some more. By the time that bucket of laundry soap ran out, I was ready to try it.

I bought the ingredients at the store. I think it only cost me about $10 to buy everything. Then I came home and made it - it took about 20 minutes to cook it up. And then I had 5! Gallons! of Soap! You only use 1/2 cup for each load, so it will last forever. I have been using it for about 6 weeks, and have only used 1.5 gallons. Also, the borax and Arm and Hammer stuff came in a big box and I only used a cup of each, so the next time I make it (and probably the next 10-12 times I make it), it will only cost me $1 for the bar of soap.

Our clothes are clean, they smell nice, and I don't think I will buy laundry soap any more! It is just slightly more lumpy than what you buy in the store, but that really isn't a problem. I store it in leftover milk jugs, and just dump a little in each load.

Go ahead and try it- we can all use that extra cash to build up our food supply!

13 comments:

Lisa said...

That's cool! That recipe is very similar to one I'm planning to try as soon as all my current detergent runs out. My recipe uses glycerin soap instead of the soap yours mentionedm, but I might try yours instead since it's supposed to fight stains better.

Last night I made my first-ever homemade natural all-purpose spray cleaner, and it works so well! I have a couple of other recipes too, for tub and tile cleaner and dishwasher detergent, that I can't wait to try.

Rachel said...

I have to try this. We spend soooo much money on dumb laundry detergent. I'm resolved to do this. Thanks Shanna!

Rebecca said...

I'll have to remember to try this next time I run out of detergent! Thanks!

The Petersons said...

Ok, I HAVE to try this now! Did you use the same bar soap they used? And also, did you add the scented oil or whatever? I want to make sure I don't get a stinky smelling mixture, LOL.

amy said...

have thought about it but wonderered about the smell

Shanna said...

I couldn't find the exact soap they used. I looked in the laundry soap isle, and found a big pink bar of soap that looked like it was made for laundry. It was $1 for a bar, but I can't remember the name of it.

I liked the smell of the bar of soap I used, so I didn't add any oil. Also, I didn't know where to get any, so I just went ahead and made it without any- and it smells great!

I'm not that sensitive to smells, but Kydon is, and I haven't had any complaints.

Plus, I figured even if I hated it, it would be worth $10 to try it out.

Valeni said...

This sounds like a very cool thing to do. I plan on trying it, so thanks for the idea. I would also love Lisa's recipe for other cleaners. Where do you find these things?

ali said...

very cool, does it work in front loading machines?

Shanna said...

I'm not sure. I think there was some discussion in the comment section of the original post about it, but I can't remember what it said. Sorry!

Alisa said...

I have been using a similar recepie for about a year, and yes it does work in front loading machines because it is a low sudsing detergent. To save more $$- you can use a cup of plain white vinegar in the rinse cycle in place of fabric softner. I eliminates odors when the clothes dry, keeps the clothes soft, but doesn't help much with static.

Shanna said...

Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that- I meant to write in the post that it doesn't have very many suds.

meredith said...

hmmm...I am going to have to click on that recipe and try it. I wonder if it works for hard water (from a well)? We have a terrible time with stains coming From the water here. :( Thanks for sharing!

mandamike said...

thanks for posting this! I am totally going to try it.I was just at the store the other day looking at laundry soap trying to decide what kind to buy, they are all so expensive. This will be awesome!