Sunday, July 19, 2009

A few projects for the house

Last week, with the kids in camp, I made some progress on some projects.


I have seen a lot of ideas and blog posts where people find things at thrift stores, and re-make them into really cool things. I figured I would give it a shot.


I made these vases:



Just purchased a few vases from the thrift store, and spent $2 on some jute rope (similar to twine) at the craft store. I think they turned out pretty good!


Then, I thought I would try making a display in my dining room. I have a huge, massive wall in the dining room that I have had a lot of difficulty figuring out what to do with- everything I tried to put there always seemed too small for the space. So, I thought I would try another thrift store idea.


I purchased a bunch of platters- silver, brass, and various finishes. I paid $0.40- $4.50 for each, then spray painted them either white or cream. I added in a mirror that I found and a couple of other frames, just to spice it up a bit.


It fills up the space quite nicely, and looks very lovely on my big wall. I will post more pics when I finally get it all the way finished.


I also painted my upstairs hallway.


I had to include a picture of the line separating the ceiling from the wall- I did it freehand with no tape! Not my first time trying that, but it was my first time having success with it.

I greatly underestimated the amount of time it would take to paint it. As I was working like a dog each day the kids were gone (and finishing up after they were in bed), I had plenty of time to ponder the irony of the fact that the whole reason I signed them up for the camp was so that I could have a little break, and then I start really ambitious projects so that I end up working even harder than I normally would.

And now I need a way to display some things and make it finished.

2 comments:

Cecilee said...

Good for you. I'm glad there's someone out there getting some home improvement projects accomplished. I just sit around in the AC thinking about all the stuff I need to get done. How I wish we had a fun summer camp here for the kids......

Your ideas look really cute.

ali said...

good for you! I need to do some decorating around my house...