Friday, July 3, 2009

Food Friday: Final Edition

This is a nice post to type. I am ending the "Food Friday" feature on this blog. I am still going to be doing food storage, and I may still post occasionally, but I will no longer be doing it on a regular basis.

The reason that it is nice is because my food storage is in the maintenance phase! There isn't really a whole lot to say about it.

I have a 3 month supply of food. I take inventory, and write down whatever I need to buy more of. I then stick that list in my purse, and buy the items as I can. Once my list is complete, I take a new inventory, and put that list in my purse.

I have a 3 day supply of water. I would like it to be a 2 week supply, but that is only a matter of saving money, buying the containers, and storing/rotating the water as I go.

I am still pretty low on my 1 year supply of basics, but I put aside about $10 a week, and I have a schedule to visit the cannery every 6 months and stock up on those basics. I have $200 saved right now, and I am scheduled to go to the cannery in October. After that visit, I will have about 40% of all long term storage items, and it will just be a matter of continuing to save and gather items.

This feels so great to see this realization of my goal. I feel a great sense of accomplishment, and I have already seen benefits to having this food on hand. Thanks everyone for all the support and answering my questions, and following me on this journey. I know I wouldn't have gotten this far this fast without the accountability of this blog feature.

2 comments:

Erika said...

You are amazing Shanna!

Mary Kate said...

great job! you are my hero!