Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Spender and the Saver

I have finally gotten our TV watching under control. I had this idea a while ago, I just haven't implemented it.

On Monday morning, the kids each get 4 TV tickets. Each ticket is good for 30 minutes of TV watching (the exception is that if they want a movie, it is only 2 tickets instead of all 4). These tickets are just for them to choose when to watch and what to watch. If the TV is on, they all 3 get to watch the show. It would be WAY too much of a headache to try and only let one watch. Does that make sense?

Anyway, Abigail is very much the spender. She uses her tickets just as fast as she possibly can. She can't stand to keep even one around. Yesterday, the kids were in a little class from 9-1, then we went swimming until almost 4, and she still managed to cash in 3 of her tickets. She did the same thing last week, using them all on the first day she had them.

Aidan, on the other hand, is the saver. He didn't use any of his last week. We went about 3 days with no TV, since Abigail was out and Aidan wouldn't use any. Abigail tries her best to get him to use them, but he responds with a steady "no, I saving dem".

It is fun to see the differences.

9 comments:

Nemmer said...

Great idea!

Kimberly said...

I LOVE this idea! I'm saving it away for when Aerie is just a bit bigger. Fantastic!

Laine said...

what a great idea shanna. i love it!

ali said...

that's so cute. what a great idea, I'll have to try that!

Rebecca said...

I love this idea! I may have to um.. borrow it :)...I also love how different they all are. It's really amazing.

Rebecca said...

PS I'm so happy to see pics of your cute kids again!:)

Cecilee said...

Don't you love it when you come up with an idea that works so well? We've been battling the TV lately too. We've basically gone cold turkey which has worked surprisingly well. I just tell them "the TV is closed today" and close the doors on the wall unit. Anyway, congratulations on a great idea!

erika said...

That is a great idea! What does Jack do with his tickets? Does he save them too?

Shanna said...

Jack is somewhere in between- he uses one or two a day until they are gone. Usually it is Abigail reminding him that he can use one! :)