Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back to School Reality

The first few days of school being in session, I was pretty happy. I was so ready for a break, and we were all sick of TV, the pool, and no one wanted to go to the zoo anymore. It felt like we had exhausted all of our 'fun', and we were all just bored and ready for the next thing.

I was super productive all of those days- cleaning, cooking, running errands, shopping, reading, etc. But yesterday and today, reality is starting to sink in.

The reality that they will be gone from me 7 or so hours a day. Every day. For the rest of their life!! Abigail came home with a bump over her eye yesterday, and Aidan had a fat lip. I don't even think twice about those things when they happen here, but I was irrationally upset that their teachers had "allowed" them to get hurt!

We have an hour in the morning- when we all jump up, get dressed, shower and bathe, eat breakfast, argue over shoes and hairdo's, and then head out to school and work. When they come home, we have only 1.5 hours to play and relax, then I have to make dinner, clean things up, and get everything set for the evening. After dinner is bath time and bedtime.

I'm starting to really miss my kids!! I even don't mind it when they get up in the night, because at least I get to see them for a few extra minutes!

It makes me want to homeschool.

Not this year of course..... I am still enjoying my hours! But maybe next year. Maybe one at a time. Or maybe not. But a few months ago I wouldn't even have considered it, and now I think about it all the time!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Don't cave. Don't do it! Just kidding. I know how you feel. Count down and then wham. What happened to my cute kids?? Where are they? You'll get over it. Now, I'm off to find a preschool for my naughty 2 year old...

Kelly said...

Just wait till they get homework. That will be fun...

We have been homeschooling all summer so I can get ahead before we fall behind in the fall due to the pregnancy. They are now doing alot of stuff on their own, including crafting. I always tell them no and they were tired of hearing it, so they just do crafts on their own. Today, they were painting rocks.

Cecilee said...

Awwww.. that is kinda sad. Its nice to hear though. I'll try and appreciate mine more before they leave in 2 weeks. I guess we always have to remind ourselves to cherish every moment and every experience, no matter what it is.. and then be grateful for all the changes that will come. I think it takes several weeks to get used to any big change.

Melinda and Matt said...

yeah--you are also going through the normal adjusting to having your first kid in school--and adjusting to all your kids in school all at the same time....give it some time and you may feel differently....I love having my kids at home--but school is really good for them too (and they love it--most of the time)

colleensewnsew said...

I always used to overload myself in trying to compensate for the sense of loss I felt when everyone left for school. Now I have learned to give myself two months before I make any big decisions or plans. That way, I make plans after the adjustment period! I miss having you and the kids come over. Is there time in that 1.5 hour to visit grandma some days?

Kevin & Rebecca said...

I can't say for sure because I've never had all of mine gone, but I suspect you'll get used to it and enjoy it again. Last year, by Friday I was ready for the weekend and by Sunday evening I was ready for school. It worked the same way for all the school holidays & even summer break. :)

ali said...

I understand that strange feeling, you are going crazy and then the moment they are gone or asleep you want to see them again!

Ah, motherhood!

Sue @ My Party of 6 said...

It would be so nice if you could homeschool 2 days a week or so! I kind of like it when one of my kids has a sick day (but not too sick) because then I get to spend the day with them. (But we are still in the midst of summer here and I am ready for a moment or two alone right now!)

Valeni said...

I know how you feel...it is heartbreaking to let them go, but a good reminder to make the time you have together meaningful and happy. I know it's good to visit with the teacher regularly too, and keep up with what they are doing at school. You can reinforce a lot of learning at home when you know what goes on at school.