Sunday, September 20, 2009

Book Reading


I have been making a lot of progress on book reading lately!

I started with Dracula, which was one of the ones on the BBC book list that I hadn't read yet. Also, we chose it for our book club book for October, and we are doing "Book Club Date Night", where we invite our spouses to read the book as well, then we have the book club at a restaurant. It was really fun last time, so I passed it on to Kydon when I finished.

Next came "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale, followed by "Book of a Thousand Days" by Shannon Hale. I had heard of her from several people, so when I was in the library I just grabbed a few with her name on it. They were really, really good! I didn't think I was that engrossed in them, but with each of them, I started them at night, then stayed up until the wee hours of the morning finishing them. Goose Girl took about 6 hours, and Thousand Days was about 4. I need to be careful when reading any more of hers! At least start earlier in the day...

Today I will start "It's not about the bike", by Lance Armstrong about his battle with cancer. My father in law gave it to me, and it sounds very interesting.

I also picked up a childrens book at a yard sale- "Rotten Ralph" by Jack Gantos. It is SO funny! I love it and the kids do too! I think we have read it 50 times in 2 days, and none of us are tired of it yet! I must look for more of his books.

I also want to finish more of the books from that book list linked above. There are so many good books!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Do you still read the book twice or have you given up that practice?

Shanna said...

Not as often as I used to- I used to read every single one twice, now it is about half and half. I won't read Dracula again, but I'm sure I will read both of the Shannon Hale ones over!

Dane said...

I've read Dracula once and listened to it on tape on a road trip once. I've been reading "outliers" lately (that means whenever I'm at the bookstore I read it until its time to leave). I like it, but I like the authors other book "Blink" better. They aren't stories, they are more like arguments for why things are the way the are.

Becky said...

I love your comment about the fact that you read the book about 50 times and still haven't gotten sick of it. We just did the same thing... purchased a cute little book titled, "Runt Farm:" Under New Management, by Amanda Lorenzo. It is a cute little chapter book, perfect for my 1st grader to read since the plot is so fun- cute story about farm animals who try to manage a farm after the farmer and his family abandon the farm. Very adventurous. We have read the book now like 10 times (taking two to three chapters per night). I love finding books that can capture and awe my kids.