Tuesday, September 15, 2009

DIY Christmas Ideas

I had so much fun doing a home made Christmas for the kids last year, and I think I am going to continue the tradition this year. In case some of you are interested in some ideas I find, I thought I would highlight some of the cute things I have found. I think I am going to either do a regular feature where I list some ideas, or I will put a list on a sidebar, I haven't quite decided.

It is harder to find things that make good gifts for boys, but they are there. You just have to get creative and you can do it! Also, there are ideas for all different levels. Some require sewing, some require nothing more than a pair of scissors or some glue.

So, in no particular order, here are some of the things on my list:

Twirly Skirt- it is Abigail's favorite clothing item, and I plan to make one or two more for this year.

Pop up Prince/ Princess- a cute little puppet idea. This link shows a prince and princess, but you could use the same idea for all kinds of different characters.

Felt Boards- One of our favorite gifts from last year, all it took was a board, some glue and a pair of scissors. Super easy to make, and super, super cheap, and the kids all love it.

Heritage Blocks- a really cute way to showcase some family pictures. Perfect for grandparents, or anyone in the family!

Fabric Dollhouse- I see these all over, and think they are just adorable! For a boy, they have a farmhouse, or maybe you could do a racetrack or something.

Superhero Cape- Superman on one side, Batman on the other!

Here are a few ideas that I don't have links to, but you could probably find (or email me for more details).

Girls: kitchen food made out of felt, dress up clothes, hair bow holder, apron

Boys: swords, fishing game, building blocks

Either: Hooded towels, bean bag chairs, lap desk, notebook covers, puppets, pillows, pillow cases, chalkboard, beanbags, scarf or hat (knit, crochet, sewn or use fleece and just tie), fleece blanket

Let me know if you want more details! I will be making some of these over the next few weeks, and I will try to post some ideas/ instructions if there is interest. If you are interested in something that isn't linked, let me know and I will send it to you- I just got tired of all the linking!

4 comments:

ali said...

I'm always interested, especially in ideas for 7 year old boys--so hard!!

Katie said...

I am doing the same thing for Christmas this year. One thing that I am doing for Ethan is an army tent that you just throw over a table, and a puppet theater that you hang from a doorway. For Adia I found the cutest idea for a play kitchen out of an old night stand, and a doll house out of a bookcase. They aren't finished yet, but they are all turning out super cute. If you are interested in any of those I have links for you. Keep posting about it, I can't wait to see the things you do.

Shanna said...

Katie- I almost posted the link for the table tents, but didn't- they are so cute! I've also seen some good kitchens out of old entertainment centers. I would love to see the dollhouse- Abigail has been asking for a dollhouse!

Rachel said...

I'm not sure if your boys are into Star Wars yet but the coolest thing that my boys got at one of Christa's parties was a pool noodle cut in half with metallic tape on the end (for a handle). It makes a very cute light saber. Besides you can get them in different colors, for when the kids figure out that Darth and Yoda have different color light sabers. Silly idea but the boys LOVE it!
Another thing I made last year was a family album ('cause I like to scrapbook but never get the time..this way I was making a present :) I took pictures of important things that happened that year of each child and made them their own pages with cute paper that was unique. They love to look through it and reminisce.