Thursday, September 3, 2009

They can't possibly be making money with this

Today I was very ceremoniously given the proofs from Jack and Aidan's school pictures. They were given as if I was being bestowed with a priceless treasure... a picture of my child. Surely, in the age of digital cameras and iphones, the "school picture" isn't what it used to be- a parents one shot of getting a great picture of their kid at that age. Surely the "professionals" feel the need to up their game- to provide something a little extra special to incent the parents into coughing up the money.

You would think.


But, alas, it felt more like a bad 80's flashback. Or is it the 70's? Either way, it is bad.

"Jack... why is your hair so weird?"


"Dey brushed it weally good before dey took da picture"

Apparently the 'stylist' likes the slicked down, combed straight on the forehead look.
You get your choice of backgrounds....

Kydon came up with more creative names for the backgrounds. 1- gnomes popping out from behind trees. 2- yellow brick road. 3- sound of music, and 4- psychedelic drugs.
I'm wondering why they didn't tell me to dress them like lumberjacks for their woodland scenes. Even the one that is supposed to be neutral looks really crazy!





The sad part is that the individual ones actually have cute smiles- not easy to do with Aidan! And they thought to get one of the two of them together, which I would have loved... but seriously?? No way am I shelling out bucks for a pic of two weird looking kids next to some woodland fireflies. At least, I think that's what those strange yellow lights are in the corner!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Those backgrounds are awful!

Our school has normal backgrounds. The pictures turn out pretty decent. And nobody styles the kids' hair.

My only complaint with ours is that they do school pictures twice a year. The second time, they don't ask if you want pictures, they just take them and print them. Your child brings them home, and you either send them back or pay for them. Or get a nice lecture from the school accusing you of stealing when you forget to pay for them. Huh? I never said I wanted pictures. THEY chose to take them, why should I have to do all this work? Who needs school pictures taken twice a year anyway? I know that there are new move-ins and people who missed the first picture day, but come on, taking the entire school's pictures again? Seems like overkill to me.

Katie said...

Ah, the school picture. Are they ever any good. I don't know if I have EVER seen a really good school picture. (I certainly never had a good one taken of me:) But you are right, the backgrounds in yours are in a league of thier own. I'm sorry about that. I know that thier "first picture" is supposed to be special. That's the pits

Jennifer Ricker said...

how can you choose the background? did they take the kids pictures in front of a green screen? or did YOU choose the woodland fairies??

Shanna said...

I have no idea- I guess the green screen, but I really don't know! I most certainly did not choose the woodland! :)

Melinda said...

Carter's preschool pictures were just as horrible--there were actually a few times that he looked cute and I tried to justify buying one, but the background looked so horrible I couldn't do it...Most of the time the elementary school isn't much better, but Caroline had an incredibly good picture taken last spring...just goes to show you that anyone can take a good picture once in a while!

colleensewnsew said...

Aidan does have a cute smile --it's just hard to find it in all the other stuff & I won't say anything about Jack's hair. You know, if you can't say anything nice, etc!

Jennifer said...

Aidan's picture is really good, but what about the bluish grey backgrounds I used to think were so boring.

Sad thing is I would probably buy one, because I feel so sorry the photographer :(

Lisa L. said...

The backgrounds my school did were straight from the early 90's. Black, with the neon stripes like they were lasers shooting out at you. Kind of like the laser show, but much more dated. And I will second the person who complained about the spring pictures being sent home. One of the most.annoying.things.ever. Like teachers don't have anything better to do than collect money (which requires I fill out a form to turn in to the office every day), keep up with who hasn't brought pictures back and count the sheets when they are returned to see if the kid brought them all back. And every photographer I've seen combs the kid's hair and it rarely looks better than it was. Welcome to the rip-off world of school pictures.
Oh yea, and the photographer always gave the teachers a free package of our pictures. Perfect. Just what I need to send to all my family and friends.

ali said...

oh I hate school pictures! Yours are a particular brand of odd though! And re-combing their hair?? I would never pay for pictures if they combed my kid's hair like that!

I distinctly remember the day I realized that I took better pictures of my kids than the "professionals" did.

I would much rather have a picture of my kids in their natural environment with a normal smile on their face than looking fake in front of a 2D scene...

I hate the spring pictures too, because my kid gets all riled up if I don't buy them and it starts a fight that would otherwise have been avoided.

Cecilee said...

This post totally made me laugh. So funny!! The individual pictures are truly not that bad. I guess because they are smiling so cute. The woodland fireflies remind me of the Disney Bambi movie. I think you should go with the psychodelic drug background. Cool. ;o)

Villamor family said...

The dreaded school pictures...almost as bad as the fundraisers! ours takes them 4 times a year...yep. fall, winter, spring and then group shot. haven't seen those backgroud choices though! classic!