Monday, September 21, 2009

When I Want Something, I Want It Right Away

I was browsing around blog land today, and found this super cute shirt in an Etsy shop. I couldn't get it out of my head. SO cute!


It looked to me like the little pillowcase dresses I see little girls wearing all the time, and I knew I had seen several tutorials online for the pillowcase dress. I thought I might be able to make it myself. I hurried through my cleaning, put off the rest of my 'to do' list, and hurried over to my favorite fabric store. Shut up if you are about to say that I shouldn't get clothing ideas from toddlers. I've told myself that about 50 times, but I'm still gonna wear the shirt.

Even the torrential downpours that were flooding bridges all over town were not enough to stop me. When I want something, I want it right NOW!

When Kydon came home, he found the kids tearing apart their rooms, jumping off of any stationary object, no dinner in sight, and me at my sewing machine. Sorry, honey- a girl has to have priorities!

Amazingly enough, I got it finished! I totally love it! If I were to make it again, there are a few things I would tweak, but for my first try with no pattern or instructions, I think it turned out pretty darn cute!

13 comments:

Katie said...

I saw that shirt and loved it too! Great job. I totally get that way with projects too. The kids are running crazy, the house is falling apart, but I have an idea in my head, and nothing else has can happen until I get it finished. You did great, I love it.

thetallgrl said...

You picked the best fabric and that shirt is totally to die for! I want to make one too, now, but I'm not experienced enough to figure out what to do. Plan on making a tutorial by any chance?

Rebecca said...

I love that! SO cute!

Shanna said...

A tutorial would be easy, and I want to make another anyway! It will have to wait, though- I'm going out of town today!

Jen said...

That's one seriously cute shirt! You are one talented lady! The thought of just whipping something like that up with no directions gives me way too much stress!

Opp Family said...

I'd love to know what your favorite fabric store it... so cute - great job!

Erika said...

That is so cute Shanna! You are amazing, really.

ali said...

Very cute, I totally want to make one!

Shanna said...

Kara- my favorite shop is Little Quilts! It is pretty far away, but worth the drive... they never disappoint! I could just walk around that place for hours! Let me know if you ever want to go. :)

Opp Family said...

I'd love to go - when I leave the Maine wilderness ;) I absolutely love the fabric you have chosen and I'm a fabric junkie!!!

Shanna said...

The fabric is Amy Butler- she has such gorgeous stuff. You can find her all over the place, a lot of stores carry her things and you can also find it online. :)

Shanna said...

The fabric is Amy Butler- she has such gorgeous stuff. You can find her all over the place, a lot of stores carry her things and you can also find it online. :)

Opp Family said...

I thought it looked Amy Butler-ish! I love her prints!