Thursday, September 17, 2009

Why Can't He Like What I Like?

I like Jack's hair slightly long-ish. Not covering his ears, or lower than his collar, but long enough to show his adorable, gorgeous curls.

He likes his hair short. Really, really short. Like Grandpa - short. The only 4 year old I know who is jealous of Grandpa's hairline.
This summer, I finally gave in to all of his incessant demands, and gave him a buzz cut. He LOVED it. Me, not so much. To make up for my lack of judgement, I have refused to cut it any more. At the same time, I was attempting a verbal convincing. "Jack, look at your nice short hair." "I love your short hair." "Come here, short- hair boy!" I thought that as long as he perceived his hair being short, it would work, and I would be able to feast my eyes on his amazing curls.

It was finally, finally getting long enough to curl again. SO adorable.


I thought my plan might be starting to crumble, when for the past few days, he has spent an unusual amount of time in the bathroom combing his hair, and trying to slick it down. But I was staying strong- no haircuts.

You see where this is going, don't you?

Today, he took matters into his own hands.


I had to buzz it. I had to. I didn't want to, but I really, really couldn't avoid it.

He loves it, of course. Look at the smile that just can't be suppressed, even though he is in trouble for cutting his own hair. There is a light in his eyes that only comes with short, short hair.

Even if there are still a few nicks!

8 comments:

Savannah said...

I love his curly hair too, but mostly I love his grin so I guess either way he is adorable. Maybe you can try something like girls love curly hair (because they do) or if that doesn't work reverse it with girls will kiss you with short hair and maybe he'll grow it out to avoid cooties. Either way, it's time to hide the scissors.

Kelly said...

Well, I guess it is his hair. Free agency sucks sometimes, huh?

Emily said...

I feel your pain!! Same. exact. thing. with Louis. He cut his hair like 6 months in a row when he wanted me to shave it and I said no. Guess what? He's been bald for almost 2 years now. Oh well. Good luck :)

Rebecca said...

Oh JACK!!!

I have to admit I did not see that coming! I gasped when I saw the pick.

Will you ever forgive me if I admit I am laughing? Boys are just too funny. (And this is happened in our house even with the buzz cuts. KIDS!)

TheVillamorFamily said...

Nate tries to slick down his curls too! but he doesn't like a buzz! too funny...but not really;)

Lisa L. said...

I love his curls too!! How sad/funny.

thetallgrl said...

Don't worry. When he gets old enough to like girls, the curls will come back! Cuz girls love curls. I feel for you, though!

Caroline said...

sorry i did that to !