Tuesday, December 22, 2009

All in the name of Christmas Memories


Well, we have 3 kids, age 5, 4, and 4. I guess we are morally obligated to attempt the madness that is sugar-cookie making.

Growing up, my dad was the Sugar Cookie Machine. He LOVED it, and we would make sugar cookies for days on just about every holiday. It was not uncommon for him to make a quadruple batch, then say that he should have made more.

So, of course, I can't really think of making sugar cookies without him there.
We invited him and mom to come over, and boy, I was glad I did. I got to clean up the dishes while Mom made frosting and Dad supervised the cookie making. It was just about as much fun as I thought it might be...

And by that, I mean they all made a huge mess and enjoyed themselves thoroughly. They were actually surprisingly focused, and stayed involved and busy the whole time.

I was quite surprised at how good they were- we gave them each their own dough to roll out and cut the cookies, then we popped them in the oven, and once they were slightly cool, we were on to frosting.

Aidan had a hard time deciding which ones to frost blue and which ones to frost yellow.

As soon as a little bit of frosting covered the cookie, we were able to add a few sprinkles. Although we decided that "sprinkle" wasn't really an accurate term in this case, so we just changed the name to "sugar mounds". Apparently Jack thought the cookie he was working on needed one more spoonful of sugary goodness.

There- that's better!

They were all hard at work, and stayed interested the whole time. I just don't understand why they can focus this long on cookies, but when I want them to write their letters, they are ready to move on after a minute and a half. Maybe I should cover their pencil in sugar...

Making cookies is a full body experience. I love the little dusting on her nose!
A group shot. They were all so excited and happy.

And, the moral of the story is: The joy is in the journey, not necessarily in the results.

4 comments:

Valeni said...

Just catching up on your blog. Such cute pictures of the kids. Looks like you are having a fun Christmas season. We're looking forward to seeing you soon!

Jen said...

Maybe you'll have to let them practice their letters with cookie dough. I have a recipe somewhere that's like playdough, but once they make the letters you can bake them and eat them. Looks like lots of fun!

Becky said...

When did your kids get so big???? and they're SO CUTE! Has it been THAT LONG??? Merry Christmas! Great blog - Feel free to visit us at www.haymorehousehold.blogspot.com.

uniquelynat said...

sorry- blog stalker here. but i just have to say that we will be making ours tomorrow. and this has me even more excited than i was!

thanks!!!!!
merry christmas!