Friday, January 22, 2010

Dinner and Dessert

I tried two new recipes yesterday, and since they both turned out great, I thought I would share:

First up is Chicken With Carrots and Potatoes (I know, fancy title. But don't be scared- it is just chicken, carrots, and potatoes). This recipe comes from one of my very favorite recipe sources- Southern Living magazine. I forgot to take a picture of mine, but it looked just like the magazine, I swear.


1 medium onion
4 medium new potatoes (about 1 lb)
2 cups baby carrots
1/2 c chicken broth
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
1 tsp paprika
6 skinned bone-in chicken thighs (I used 3 leg quarters, because thighs were $1.19 a pound, and quarters were 39 cents a pound! Duh!)

  1. Halve onion, then cut into thick slices. Cut potatoes into slices. Place onion into a lightly greased 6 qt. slow cooker, top with potatoes, and carrots.
  2. Combine broth, next 3 ingredients, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Pour over vegetables.
  3. Combine paprika and remaining salt and pepper. Rub over chicken. Arrange chicken on top of vegetables.
  4. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.

The best part was that I did all the prep in the morning, and cleaned up at the same time that I did breakfast dishes. In the afternoon, we stayed at the park until just before Kydon came home, and it was just a matter of putting it on a plate and dinner was served! I think I will be on a quest for more slow-cooker recipes.

For dessert I made a new twist on a rice crispy treat. Abigail's church teacher made these for her class, and after I had a bite, I begged her for the recipe. I tried it last night, and YUM! Very delicious!

Crispy Recipe

In a saucepan, add together:

2 c brown sugar

2 sticks butter

1 3/4 c. karo syrup

Boil 3 minutes, remove from heat.

Add: 1 can sweetened condensed milk

Boil an additional 3 minutes, then pour over 1 box of Rice Crispies (19 oz). Mix well.

I halved this recipe, and it still made plenty- esp. because none of the kids will eat any kind of rice crispy treat (I know, they are crazy).

5 comments:

thetallgrl said...

Thank you for sharing the recipes! I love trying new stuff and it's always worth it when you know someone else has made it and liked it!

ali said...

yum! Thanks for the recipes!

Lisa L. said...

I am a big fan of the crockpot too - thanks for the new recipe! I have some on my recipe blog that I like for crockpot cooking. Simple and yummy!

Valeni said...

Sounds good and I want to try it too....you are such a great cook!

Nishant said...

Thank you for sharing the recipes

Work from home India