Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Food Storage: Continuing and Improving

One of my absolute favorite things about having my food supply in my basement is the fact that at any given time, I have a whole bunch of food in the basement. That means I don't have to run to the grocery store at inconvenient times, and I always have something I can make for a meal.

Last week Abigail asked for one of her favorite meals- noodles with pesto sauce (literally just some cooked noodles with some pesto sauce on it). I ran to the basement to get another jar of pesto, and I had the thought "Oh, I hope there is a jar left- I can't remember if I used the last one or not".

That's when I knew I hadn't been as on top of things as I should be! I did end up having some in the basement, and I took my next opportunity to go to the store and restock some of my supplies. It was a good reminder to not take that food supply for granted, and that I need to constantly be updating it, or we will eat through it in a hurry!

***************************

My other thoughts are about using the food. I seem to get in a rut at times, and I know there are a lot of options for meals that are right there in my home. SO. I am putting together a binder, to include all the recipes of the meals that I can make using the food I have stored. I have my original list that I made, and I have since found several recipes that use the same food, and I would love to have it all organized together, so that when I need an idea for dinner, I can just pull out the binder and flip thorough until something sounds good.

I would love to have the binder of recipes finished this week. There you go- a concrete goal! Hopefully I can resist Facebook long enough to get it done! :)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Love that. I'll copy.