Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A totally awesome day, filled with normal stuff

I had such an enjoyable day today! We didn't really do anything spectacular, but we were pretty busy. Jack and Aidan were so cute and fun all day- I just love spending my days with them (most of the time!) Today I just was so happy all day long, and kept reflecting on how much fun we were having, so I thought I would write down all the fun we had!

They wake up, eat breakfast, and then they just start playing. They grab some trains, or some monster trucks, or some stuffed animals and ropes, and just go to town. I think it is so funny to see them playing together so great.

About 9:00 I make them stop what they are doing for our preschool time. You can see they are making amazing progress. Their penmanship is getting better and better every day...

... or maybe not! But at least they try, which is all I ask! As long as they are making attempts at writing, and getting exposure to the letters, I really don't worry too much about the actual letters they are making or not making.

When we finished our writing, I showed them a recipe. We talked about cooking and recipes, and measurments. Then they helped me make some gingerbread, and we made them into gingerbread men, and put them in the oven. The boys ran outside to play, and I called them in when the timer rang. We opened the oven, and can you believe it- the little rascally gingerbread men had jumped out of the oven, ran away, and all that was left was a note!

We chased them all over the house, following their notes, and running as fast as we could (run, run as fast as you can and all). We finally caught up to them in the car- they were trying to make a break for it, but couldn't find the keys!

Then we got to eat the tasty little guys.
They were cracking up the whole time, laughing and talking non stop about how the gingerbread men almost got away!
After our snack, they went outside for more playing. The weather is so beautiful right now, and they spent every minute they could outside.

After I took their picture on the swingset, they were really excited to show me their soup they had made...
Doesn't it look yummy? I went back in to put some food in the crockpot. Not long afterward, they opened the door and peeked in. I knew right away that something was wrong- usually they just barge right in! They look at me, and start saying 'ew... ew... ew'. I asked them what was 'ew', and they say "mud fight". I take a closer look, and they are covered head to toe in mud splotches. And laughing their fool heads off every time they catch a glimpse of each other! I wish I had a picture of it, it was so funny.

After I gave them a bath, and after I cleaned most of the mud out of the tub, we packed a lunch and headed off to surprise Abigail and eat lunch with her. She wasn't expecting us, and I loved seeing her eyes light up when she realized we were there. We were able to entertain her whole class with the tale of the mudfight!

Then we headed off to the mall. They have been saving their allowance money to ride the train at the mall. It is just a dumb little go-cart that pulls some train cars, but they are obsessed with it, and have been wanting to ride it forever. They get $1 a week in allowance, and the train costs $4. I've been trying to convince them to save for a toy or something, but the train is what they want. They actually had $6 saved up, so we rode the train, then headed upstairs and took a trip on the carousel.

After a few rides up and down the elevator, we went home, and when Abigail returned home from school, I finished mopping the floor (the real miracle of the day) and we went to the park for the rest of the afternoon. I remember when the kids were tiny and we would go to the park, and I would see women there reading a book, and I would be so jealous that they got to just sit there and read, and not have to chase and help and push. Well, I am totally there now! I love it! I got to read for almost 2 hours this afternoon, and the kids were having a ball. Riding bikes and racing to put out the fires (playing fireman), and watching the trail that goes by the park and waiting to harrass anyone with a dog "CAN WE PET YOUR DOG??"

Daddy came home, and I just had to pull dinner out of the crock pot- the mess had been cleaned up earlier in the day (note to self: find some great crock pot recipes, because that was totally awesome). We told him all our stories, then gave the kids another bath (Abigail needed one, and I had missed a few spots on the boys from earlier), and then off to bed.

When I was laying next to Abigail, she was the sweetest little thing. She has been sleeping on an air mattress in our room for a few weeks now, and she tells me that when she is a teenager she won't sleep in our room, she will sleep in her own bed. Her BUNK bed. Then she asks me if we can *please, please, please mommy, please* get a girl baby and put it in her room. I told her my tummy doesn't make babies, and she asked if I could look for one on the computer (see- she knows where babies come from!). I laughed and said I could look, but sometimes they are hard to find. She then said that she guessed it could be a boy baby, as long as it slept in her room. Such sacrifice!

Today was a great day. I love my life!

9 comments:

ali said...

ok--gingerbread men getting away! You are too cute. No really, you're making me look bad...

thetallgrl said...

LOVE the gingerbread men! So creative!

colleensewnsew said...

What a sweet post -- you have such a great family.

Jen said...

Glad you had such a fabulous day! Sounds like your new years attitude is still working (mud). I need more days like this.

Shanna said...

I can't take credit for the gingerbread man idea- my mom loaned me a preschool book with tons of cute ideas like that.

And yes, I am still trying to maintain my "relax, enjoy" attitude! Some days are better than others, but for the most part I am sticking to it!

Rebecca said...

I LOVE this day! The gingerbread men running away is awesome!

Valeni said...

So glad you are having fun with the kids. Such creative fun and cute things to do! Wish I was there to join in! Love you all...

Nishant said...

You are too cute

Work from home India

Cecilee said...

Thanks for sharing your great day. Those good days make it all worth it don't they?

.... and don't start getting me excited about another baby! I think Abigail has a great idea to look for a new baby. ;o) Sooo cute.