Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pizza on the Grill

Well, 32 days now and still no oven. Deciding to fix it is different than actually getting it done, so we continue to cook with no oven. Today I decided to try cooking our pizza on the grill. I did a google search (of course), and got a few tips under my belt, then went for it.

I decided there is a learning curve to this, and I think next time will be a little better.

Here is our first crust. We won't talk about that cut away piece. That soot-covered spot had no place in any pizza. The second crust turned out better (I leaned to not have the flames so high), but I didn't get a picture of it- we were starting to get hungry!

Here is the other side. See- cooked much too hot. And, from this shot, you can only imagine how bad it must have been to get me to cut it off, considering all the black spots I left. Anyway, after pre-baking the crust a bit (or burning it like me), you just put the toppings on, then back to the grill for heating/melting.

This was the kids version- half cheese, half pepperoni. Ours had the addition of mushrooms and green peppers, which I should have heated a bit before putting on, because it is hard to get all the veggies cooked without burning the crust.

Overall, it turned out really good! The second crust didn't get burned at all and it did have a nice flavor and a sort of crispiness that tasted really good. Abigail said it was her favorite pizza ever, and Kydon really liked it as well. I was a little disappointed with the burning and veggies not getting cooked all the way, but I think next time I will like it a lot.

Also, FYI, crockpot lasagna is not so great.

5 comments:

ali said...

very nice! I've always wanted to attempt that!

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog, I'm dying to come see you, money is a tad tight right now, but maybe sometime this year-- it's our year!!

Lisa L. said...

We love crockpot lasagna. I never have the energy to make it at 5:00, so crockpot is the only way my family gets lasagna.

Lisa L. said...

We love crockpot lasagna. I never have the energy to make it at 5:00, so crockpot is the only way my family gets lasagna.

Cecilee said...

Doesn't look too bad. Good job being resourceful!

Valeni said...

Looks good to me...can we try it again this week-end??