Tuesday, May 11, 2010

One Hundred and One

Today marks one hundred and one days since I've had an oven. Last night I got desperate and made a mexican lasagna AND banana bread... in my toaster oven! It only took an hour to heat up the loaf pan sized lasagna, and, you know, one small loaf pan to feed 5 hungry people does not really work out all that well.

I started the banana bread after dinner. It took a little figuring out- like don't fill the pan too full, because the top of the bread will literally hit the top element as it rises. But, once I figured it out, I was able to bake some decent banana bread- one at a time. It only took until almost 10 pm to finish it.

Must be nice to have an oven that would fit more than one loaf pan at a time.

I am waiting to save up the money for all new kitchen appliances, and then I will get my oven.

Kydon is pushing for buying the appliances on credit, and paying it off instead of saving up. But it has taken us several years to get our debt back under control, and I really don't want to get back in that situation! I am pretty adamant to pay cash for what we buy!

However, as I have been writing this, the dishwasher is making a very strange knocking and grinding sound.... it does not sound good!

I can pretty much promise I won't be living without an oven *and* washing dishes by hand!!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Well, let's just hope your dishwasher stays alive a little longer.

ali said...

yes I can understand what you mean about debt, and if my dishwasher broke, I'd run to grab my credit card ;)

Jennifer Horton said...

No credit! No credit! No credit! Be strong! Ok, so I purchased all new appliances last year and still paying them off. It's a hard habit to break. But, you are an adult;) and, when push comes to shove, we have to do what's best for our emotional/temporal/spiritual well being, even if that means putting appliances on credit. I honestly don't know how you've gone this long without an oven. But, I'll cheer for you whatever ya'll decide.