Saturday, September 18, 2010

Things I Think About

Before school started and my little pumpkins were gone for about 6 hours a day, I was busy. I was constantly cleaning, cooking, entertaining and referreeing. I will admit that I greatly looked forward to school starting and having just a little more ...time.

Of course, I have managed to fill every bit of my days, so that I continue to rush around and I still have a seemingly endless list of things to be done. I have been doing a lot of cleaning, a lot of sewing, I have been at the kids school just as often as they will let me in the door. I am working a bit more now (I doubled my previous 2 days a month and now I'm working 4 days a month- I know, how in the world do I fit it in). I have done my share of shopping, both necessary (groceries) and fun (clothing). I have been making up for my neglect of doctor visits, and have had about 4 appointments in the past couple weeks. [I have not been working on the kitchen].

Despite all my rushing about, I find myself preoccupied with thoughts of a few different things.

1. Homeschool

I'm not sure if it is just kids-in-school-mom-freak-out thoughts, or if it is really on the horizon. I really, really, really love their school. They have the BEST teachers. There is so much good that is happening. I really love my time alone, and my ability to get things done.

But I don't love the rushing that happens every day. Between homework, dinner, and bedtime, they often only have about an hour to just relax and play. I don't love having Abigail be bored out of her mind for 2.5 weeks before they can get everybody assessed and in the right math and reading groups. I don't love her coming home with work that is way below what she was doing all summer.

I'm not sure where it is going to lead, but I did get a few books at the library. Kydon thinks I'm crazy. I do too, to be honest. I wish there was a compromise- great school for 4 hours, and I will supplement with stuff at home! Too bad that doesn't exist!

2. Etsy

I have had several thoughts over the years of opening an Etsy shop. This summer I was at the pool for swim lessons, and one of the other moms was going crazy over a little notebook cover I had made. She bought it from me for $8! And she got me thinking about it again.

I decided to do it, then decided not to. Then I changed my mind, changed it again, and then changed again! So, right now, I am going to do it. I spent a lot of the day yesterday getting some inventory ready and finalizing some of my projects! I will, of course, let you all know when it opens! I'm pretty excited about it, and I hope it stays fun. Anyone with advice is welcome!

3. Adopting again

I want to use our adoption fund. It has been sitting in a savings account for 5 years now, and I think it is time we use it. I want to hire some professionals, and go ahead and adopt a basement. I'm trying to convince Kydon that after we finish the kitchen, we will be ready for a new "addition" to the family. It will be a lot of work in the beginning, but then our family would really be complete. He isn't opposed to the idea, so we might be expanding sometime next year! ;)

5 comments:

Valeni said...

I am so glad you share your thoughts on these important topics. I think you guys are amazing and have so many abilities and interests. I know you will follow the Spirit in choosing what to do in your life. We want to support you and be there for you whenever we can. Love you and thinking of you today.

Katie said...

Oh, you! My hear was racing for a couple of seconds there. Even though it wasn't what I was thinking at first I think a nice basement sounds like just what you need. I hope it brings you many years of joy and happiness. :)
I also think the etsy thing is a great idea. You are so talented, you should share it with those of us who AREN'T.

ali said...

I hear you on the school thing, and I totally can't wait to see your etsy shop!

Villamor family said...

i think about the home school idea as well...have thought about it for about....ummm....5 years now. Just waiting for a good reason to do it! And now I would love for a good reason to wait another 2 years so I can leave the kids home by themselves while I run my errands...i so enjoy doing that alone.

like you we have great schools and teachers and all their friends...the list goes on! My brother has his 2 oldest(13 and 14) in a homeschool co-op. They "attend" a school 3 days a week and are able to take the extra classes like art and music from real teachers....they go until noon and do the rest of the work at home. You may have something like that in ATL. They are in Knoxville. My friend Heather(remember her from Auburn?) she was teaching science at one of those homeschool- schools for a semester.

anyway...just my thoughts:) i love the idea of home school...especially now that they have extended our school day.... but i still want my freedom!

i wonder if LDSFS does basement adoptions...sounds a little shady to me;) but it would be cheap! ha

Ed and Jennifer said...

I'd left a lengthier post but it vanished. Oh well. If you wanna talk about homeschooling, it's one of my favorite subjects because I LOVE it! I'm so glad I was "forced" to do it because I was anti and never would have done it on my own. If you can find a school that goes 1-3 days a week, that might be something to look at too.

Etsy sounds great with a good business plan in place. If you do it, you may want to hold off homeschool. Both require lifestyle changes.

Finished basement...Ahhhhhhh. Nice.