Friday, November 19, 2010

The Big Kitchen Reveal

It still isn't 100% done, but close enough that I don't want to wait any longer to show pics! Here is the BEFORE, and here is the DURING, and now...

Here is my new kitchen!

You can see we are still missing a few drawer fronts and door pulls, but we are getting there! I absolutely love the tile, the lighting, and all the miles of counter space!

New sink... new dishwasher... and no more dishwasher pot to prop up the door! Such luxury!
We also installed some beadboard and hooks in the hallway area to accomodate all the backpacks, jackets, scarves and other items that need a place to hang out.

This is the wall opposite the backpacks. Kydon did a fabulous job with all the moulding and trim work- it looks fantastic!

And... my favorite spot. This used to be a tiny counter top with a useless bar. We chopped off the bar, added a base cabinet, and then extended the counter top over a bit to make a little sitting spot.

This countertop is so huge and fabulous! I clean it off about 6 times a day, just to revel in how big and beautiful it is! Of course, it gets piled on 7 times a day, but that's okay too!

Now I just need to figure out how to make this useful *and* beautiful. I can do one or the other without too much trouble, but getting both right is going to be difficult!

I love my art supply section. Kydon doesn't find it as beautiful as I do, so we had to put it in the bottom corner. But it is extremely useful! I love having it all organized and colorful! The kids get these jars out 2 or 3 times a day. They have stayed organized so far- not sure how long it will last, but I love it.

The computer desk. We almost didn't put tile and lighting here- I'm so glad we did at the last minute! Okay, here is where I admit that the real reason I have waited so long to post pictures is that it took me this long to get it all so cleaned up! And, for full disclosure, I took the pictures on 2 different days, so only half the kitchen had to be all cleaned up at a time! But I thought it deserved to look its best for the blog pictures!

A view from the breakfast area. Did I mention I L.O.V.E. this counter top?

The other day I made rolls, and it felt as if a miracle had occured...

Not only could I roll out my dough without hitting a wall, I had my flour next to me (rather than sitting in the sink), my bowl to the side (instead of across the way), and the pans were right in front of me (rather than over on top of the oven). It was a VERY nice way to cook and prepare food!
And, more than anything else, I love it when a young child climbs onto one of my stools and sits at my countertop while I work. I can't even tell you how my heart goes pitter-pat.


I love it so much that whenever one of them sits there, I offer them goodies- popsicles, cookies, candy, juice. Just to give them a little positive reinforcement that it is a grand place to sit!

14 comments:

Savannah said...

It is beautiful. I am so jealous. Can I come sit at it for a goodie too?

Jen said...

Wiping the drool off my chin right now. What a beautiful kitchen! It's my dream to have a kitchen that isn't a hallway with some cupboards. Maybe someday...
So, are you hosting Thanksgiving to show it off??

Catherine O. said...

Oh, Shanna, I have been waiting for these pictures!! Wow, what a beautiful kitchen! I love all that counterspace :)

Caroline said...

I love the candy seat !

Rebecca said...

It's gorgeous!! Great job!

Katie said...

Oh, I LOVE it! Love the tile, love the lighting under the cupboards, love the huge counter space, and LOVE LOVE that you have a "treat seat." I want to come sit in the treat seat... Maybe I'll drop by for a visit, what do you think? You did such a fantastic job. So beautiful!

ali said...

it's simply stunning! And I totally can't believe that you are able to have accessible bottles of glue, crayons, and markers around the house. Either you live dangerously, or your children are much better behaved than mine ;)

eartohear said...

I get to see it in real life this week. Can't wait! It is indeed absolutely beautiful!

Emily said...

Oh love!! I am so happy for you...and a little jealous!! Looks awesome!

colleensewnsew said...

It is beautiful and worth all the hassle to get it done!

Erika said...

It looks amazing! I'm so glad you finally posted some pictures. And those rolls look pretty tasty!

StrawberryBlond said...

Soooo jealous...and happy for you! I love the (mostly) finished product! And I'm loving your beadboard - I love that stuff.

The Clanton Gang said...

It look So great!! I'm happy you finally have your kitchen back!! :)

Cecilee said...

Yay! Is is gorgeous! Love the granite, the tile, the beadboard, the white cabinets. Its all beautiful! You deserve it! Congratulations and enjoy...as I know you are.