Friday, January 21, 2011

Handy

My father in law came up over the holidays. It was a Friday night, and we were talking about what we should do the next day.

It was too cold for hiking, and we didn't have any other great ideas. He asked Kydon if he had anything he needed help with... Kydon couldn't really think of anything, and someone said they should see if Shanna had anything she wanted done.

Oooooohhhh, yes. I ALWAYS have something I want done!

Just because I would hate for anyone to be bored!


I had seen this idea on a blog where a girl had built a shelf to raise her washer and dryer. The space underneath allowed her to slide the laundry baskets underneath. It seemed like a great idea for my closet of a laundry room.

A pretty simple operation- remove and raise the cabinet, build a shelf capable of supporting all that weight, figure out the drainage and plumbing for the washer, etc.

Simple for my father in law. Overwhelming for anyone else!

I did help with the painting. That is my specialty.

And wah-lah! It was finished by Saturday night. We waited for the paint to dry and put it back together on Monday. It is awesome... I now have room to sort the laundry and keep it underneath. I no longer have to move the basket to open the dryer door.

It did reveal how stained and rough the floor looks in there, but that is well worth the benefit! Now if only I could find the time to touch up the paint in there and finish it off!

3 comments:

Katherine Malone said...

Wow that is the best idea ever! I love smart storage like that, especially since I live in a one-bedroom condo where space is tight. Thanks for posting! :)

Jen said...

What a great idea! Wish I had a magic handyman to make it happen in my laundry room. :) You are one lucky girl.

Cecilee said...

Yay! I am so glad to see pictures of this. Dad tried to describe it to me, but pictures help. Yes, he is amazing! It looks really great.