Thursday, June 23, 2011

BREAD!!!

I made bread.  I really did!  I have tried and tried over many years to bake bread, with pretty unsuccessful results.  I gave up for a long time, just figuring that it wasn't in me to make it work.  But I still wanted to conquer it.  I finally decided that if I had an electric mixer, I would be able to master it. 

Last September, for my birthday, Kydon surprised me with a mixer. Now I had no excuse- I had to try it! So, 9 months later, I did! :) In the past, I could say that I *tried* to make bread, but this time I actually did it.

The result was smooth, firm, perfectly done bread. It smelled divine, and actually tasted wonderful. I am still in shock.  We used it for sandwiches, french toast, and just sliced with butter and/or jam.
 I used 100% whole wheat, and the kids actually loved it.  I did too.  And I must admit that less than 24 hours after it came out of the oven, 1.5 loaves have been consumed.  Is it still healthy if you eat that much of it? 
Here is the recipe, compliments of my friend Jenni:
5 cups hot water
11-12 cups flour
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup gluten flour
1/4 heaping teaspoon Vitamin C crystals
3 T yeast
1 T salt

Mix water with 3 cups of flour.  Then add oil, honey, gluten flour, Vitamin C crystals, yeast and salt in that order.  Add rest of flour.  Mix for 5 min on high until bread pulls away from bowl. 

Put on oiled countertop and divide into 4-5 loaves.  Put into greased bread pans to raise 40-45 min with a towel over the pans.

Bake at 325 for 35 minutes.

The gluten and Vit. C crystals give this bread a lighter texture than most whole wheat bread recipes. 

*******************

My notes:  I didn't have any gluten flour, so I just used extra wheat flour.  I also couldn't find any Vit. C crystals, so I used Vit. C powder and increased the amount to 1 T. 

I couldn't believe how easy this was, only 45 min of rising time and 35 min of  baking time.  I will be making this again!

3 comments:

Savannah said...

There is nothing like homemade bread fresh from the oven. I love mine smothered in honey and butter.

Camille said...

I feel very inspired by this. I too have had my battles with baking. But I would love to make bread and have it actually taste good! Maybe I'll give your recipe a shot

the Villamor's said...

i have a similar recipe that is equally easy!! love the way it smells when it is baking!

make sure you drink a lot of water!! i made some whole wheat chocolate chip avocado muffins and ate too many....whoa.