Friday, June 10, 2011

I am the Entertainment Committee

The phrase I remember most from my childhood summers is my mom saying "I am not your entertainment committee".  We were expected to find our own fun, our own activities, and entertain ourselves.

So far this summer, I feel like I am the entertainment committee (by choice).  There is SO much I want to do with them!  I have tons of homeschool plans, reading programs, we have work/chore charts, scheduled lessons and classes, and I have a huge list of unscheduled activities that I can't wait to do.

So far, two weeks into our summer break, we are so busy we aren't even making a dent in all my plans!  Homeschool is way behind.  We have done our reading every day, but the Book Of Mormon outline is several days behind, our handwriting lessons have only happened twice, and there is no Spanish happening at all.  I did put the math workbooks in the car, so at least as we go back and forth they have been doing a bit of math!  I have been consistent with the chores- those have been done every day (mostly because I make them happen first thing in the morning, and we get up plenty early). 

It is just so. darn. hot.  The only thing we all want to do is head to the pool.  So that is what we have done.  We have swim lessons at 10:00, then we come home for lunch, then head back to the pool for the afternoon.  We are supposed to do school work after lunch before going back, but the kids just want to play, and I'm usually hot and trying to get everything unpacked and repacked and checking my email so I don't want to force it to happen.

I keep telling myself that summer is only 2 weeks in- there is still plenty of time to get everything done.  Maybe now that swimming lessons are done it will be easier to do a little more in the morning.

How is your summer?  Are you busy and rushing and trying to fit everything in?  Or are you bored and trying to figure out how to keep everyone from driving you crazy??  :)

5 comments:

Ed and Jennifer said...

It is SUMMER! Time to play, enjoy the sun, it's so hot all you want to do is be in the water, or play games inside. This is the 2nd summer I've tried to do "school" through the summer, and it's "OK", but definitely not our favorite thing to do. After such routine and schedules during the school year, it's hard during the "play" months. Lots of homeschoolers take their learning outside. My goal to get one solid school day a week of English, Math, writing, history, music and art. Science is perpetual with us because it's fun and interesting. We've had bits and pieces accomplished. I do feel that I'm rushing around trying to get things done or wanting to do more...and I don't like the feeling, so now I'm thinking to simplify and find the balance with having fun at the pool, and maintaining what we basic skills the kids have acquired this last year, and enjoy the summer. Good luck! Have fun!

ali said...

I haven't been nearly as ambitious as you-- we are just enjoying being lazy ;) Occasionally we fit in the odd chore...

Kayleen said...

Well since school doesn't get out for another week and a half I don't have your problem right now. That and it's cloudy with a chance of rain. :) My whole summer is going to be swimming lessons so I'm not plannin much else. Good luck!

Colleen said...

You are doing a great job!

eartohear said...

Well, at work I'm definitely not bored, but definitely trying to keep everyone from driving me crazy! At least I haven't seen many teenage volunteers this summer (shhhhhh..don't tell, but I really don't mind if they decide to NOT volunteer!) Good luck with the structure here and there. I love summer parties, hopefully ya'll have been having some!