Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Homemade Snacks

I mentioned in an earlier post that I will be sending all home made snacks this year- trying to completely eliminate all the processed junk that I sent last year (things like goldfish, animal crackers, peanut butter crackers, etc).

I feel like I need to give a disclaimer, because all the things on my list are not super-healthy.  There are several items that have more sugar than I would like, there is a high use of butter, etc.  However, I feel like anything I make at home is going to be better than things I buy, and I'm also trying to ease the kids in slowly- if I make things that they enjoy eating, they won't miss the other stuff.

I'm also restricting the really sugary things (like pudding or cookies) to one day a week.

Here is my list of snack ideas, along with any tried and true recipes/links:

  • Home made granola bar (haven't tried any recipes yet, but if I find a good one, I'll post it)
  • Cheese Quesadilla (my kids favorite snack)- sent at room temp
  • Banana bread
  • Pumpkin bread (recipe here)
  • Carrots (or other veggies) with ranch dipping sauce
  • Pretzels with peanut butter (the pretzels are store bought, but pretty healthy)
  • Applesauce (again, not homemade, but eventually it will be)
  • Fruit (apple, banana, peach, kiwi, etc)
  • Pizza rolls (recipe here)
  • Chocolate chip cookies (or other variety)
  • Muffins
  • String cheese
  • Yogurt
  • Hummus with veggies (I make my own hummus)
  • Pudding
  • English Muffin (recipe here- much tastier when made at home)
  • Chex Mix (home made)
  • Peanut Butter Balls (recipe here- I find they taste great as long as I keep the balls pretty small - about the size of a quarter- and cover them in chocolate.  Otherwise they are too dense to eat much of.)
  • Popcorn (air-popped, not the micro variety)
  • Soft pretzels (recipe here- I made these once already, and they got eaten so fast, we only had them for snack for one day!  I need to get another batch going, next time I will double it).
  • Peanut butter bar cookies (recipe here- ignore the bad picture, they are yummy!)
  • Fruit and Oatmeal bars
  • Granola bites (recipe here- I followed the advice in the first comment and switched the corn syrup for honey and added wheat germ.  I also switched the raisins for choco chips.)
There you have it.  My not-so-healthy-but-at-least-home-made list of snacks!  Any other ideas for me?

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I was just introduced to the book, "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day" and I'm excited to make my own bread. The lady who introduced me to it swears that it's pretty easy!

Christine said...

I was just wondering about sending stuff with cheese at room temperature. I guess I thought it would be bad. Just asking since I'll be sending food next year, and want to know!!

Jennifer said...

Great ideas, I'm going to try some of them on myself. I usually replace the butter in cookies with applesauce or plain yogurt and it works quite well, you can also cut the butter in half and do half applesauce.

Shanna said...

I see the point about cheese, but I usually pack the bag at 7am, and they eat snack around 9, so it is only 2 hours, and it is in an insulated bag, so I figure it is fine. :)

the Villamor's said...

i love your list...realistic snacks! i agree that homemade is always better than store bought even if it has the same calories! there is no love in those chips-ahoy cookies! :)

we have no problem with cheese in lunches. we usually have a ice pack when i send sandwiches but sometimes they take leftover pizza and i just put it straight from fridge to their insulated bags and they haven't complained or had problems.

Katie said...

try this:
http://www.marthastewart.com/342391/peanut-butter-granola-bars
my kids love them and they are super easy.