Thursday, September 22, 2011

Long Time, No Blog

Have I really not blogged since Sept 5???  Holy cow, that is a long time for me!  I have had so much going on and been doing so much... I will try to catch up, then post a funny story with pictures tomorrow.

Get ready!  Are you ready?  Okay, you're right - there isn't really anything to get ready for.  Just read.  And comment if you feel inclined.

1.  I'm going to number my updates.  No reason except I just wanna.

2.  WORK.  The hospital is very, very slow in the summer.  Did you know that?  Empty.  It is like a ghost town there.  Not that I would know, because when the hospital is slow, I don't work.  I have "non guaranteed hours" which means that if they don't need me, I can't go in and they don't pay me.  But with the kids back in school and the weather turning cold now and then, the hospital is hopping again (I can explain why if you really want to know), and I am trying to make up a lot of my lost hours by working extra. 

It is really fun, because I love work.  {insert laugh track here}  Actually, I DO really like my work under certain conditions.  1. I have just the right amount of patients (too many is too busy, too few makes the hours drag).  2.  The patients I have are sick enough to need to be there but not sick enough that they require lots and lots of attention from me.  Believe me, you don't want to be the one in the hospital that requires lots of attention.  3.  I'm not completely exhausted.  This rarely happens, because I work 7p-7a, and I do it infrequently enough that I don't ever at all stay on the night schedule.  So I am always really, really tired. 

Sometimes all 3 of those conditions exist and work is not bad- borders on pleasant even.  I worked 2 days last week and 2 days this week, and I would like to state for the record that NONE of my conditions were met.  I had too many patients, too much work, my patients got really unreasonably sick and I couldn't fix them like I sometimes can, and I was so worn out.  It makes me not want to go back- ever.  Luckily I get paid on Friday and I will remember why it is that I go.  [yes, that's right.  No touchy feely "I just like to help sick children".  I go because they pay me.  That is just about the *only* reason I go, and if they didn't pay me, I wouldn't go.  The end.]

3.  SCHOOL.  The kids are in school.  All 3.  All day.  I miss them like crazy!  I joined the PTA.  And by "join" I mean that I somehow ended up on the executive board.  Sounds fancy, right?  I'm putting it on my resume.  Executive Board.  Really it just means that I have to do a bunch of work.  Really fun stuff like meetings and covering 75 books with contact paper.  I'm really happy to be doing it.  Last year I did a lot more in the classrooms, but it doesn't seem to be working out this year, so I love that I can still be at the school seeing people and helping.  I love passing my pumpkins in the hall or being the one that tests their ears.  It was worth testing the other 52 kids just to get a high-five from Jack and a hug and kiss from Aidan.  I'm making friends and I feel like I'm a part of what is going on at school.  I love it, but it does add quite a few things to my calendar. 

5.  EXERCISE.  I do it.  A lot!  Very strange for me.  :)  I go running virtually every day, and I'm lifting weights like crazy.  I've lost a bit of weight (not that much since I still eat really bad/good stuff), but I can totally see my arms getting toned up.  And I have way more energy and strength than I ever have.  I can run a mile pretty easily now, which I don't think I have ever done before.  I love it!

4.  HOUSEWORK.  I have abandoned housework.  Really, who wants to do it?  Not me, that's for sure.  I've set up two different schedules since school started, and I've bummed out on both of them.  It seems like I should have plenty of time, but I seem to spend my time doing other stuff....  go figure.  Do you have any advice for me?  My house really needs some cleaning.

5.  BAKING.  I bake and cook all the time.  I have been sending home made lunches 100% this year.  I have sent homemade snacks 100% this year.  We've eaten out a few times, but for the most part I have been cooking and baking (and doing dishes) like crazy.  I also make my own 100% whole wheat bread.  I never buy bread at the store anymore (the kids have shown no signs of caring either way, but Kydon misses the white stuff once in a while).

6.  SEWING.  Almost never.  I put my machine mostly away and I don't really miss it right now.  I'm sure I will get back to my crafty ways, but for now I'm happy pursuing other interests.  Same goes for shopping and housework and photography. 

7.  SICKNESS.  Abigail and Jack had strep.  They stayed at home several days just not feeling well.  As soon as they got a little better, Kydon got sick with a cold/sinus thing, and then I got it.  Mine hung around long enough to turn into something different with more sinus/cough problems, and now it seems that Abigail has strep again.  Yuck!  I just feel bad for Aidan, because he is the one who wants a "day off" more than anybody else!  He, of course, has somehow managed to avoid all the germs that are taking the rest of us down!  Poor guy, he would give just about anything to stay home alone for a day.  I started to tell him to lick Abigail's spoon or something, but before I said it I realized that he really would do it, so I just gave him a toy from my stash.

There you have it- my update and why I've been too busy to blog the past couple of weeks.  I'll try to amend that.  I do have a really funny picture to share.  I hope it really is funny and not just funny-to-me-because-I'm-their-mom.  Okay, don't get your hopes up... maybe it isn't funny, but I thought it was, and I'll share it tomorrow!

3 comments:

Savannah said...

Housework, start working more days a week and then hire someone to do your housework for you. Wish I could afford that. :p

StrawberryBlond said...

My advice for housework: lower your standards. :) Works for me.

Kelly said...

You could make white bread, ya know? Just sayin'.