Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Fear of Patterns and Zippers!

As much as I love to sew and create, and I even love to make clothing, I have long held onto two distinct fears- fear of patterns and fear of zippers!  I would fall apart and get shaky if either of those elements came into my life, so I very diligently found ways to avoid both!  I would only make things that did not contain those two elements.

Until now!  I decided to make Abigail a dress- from a PATTERN, and -AND- it contained a ZIPPER!  Both at once, I was feeling brave!

 And, despite having to reread the instructions a million few times, and sewing one piece on upside down the first time, I made it!  Her spring dress turned out pretty cute! 
I'm so happy with it I'm even considerening making another!  Just not right away.... 

7 comments:

Savannah said...

It is darling! You're already doing better then me, I don't even like to sew a straight line.

erika said...

That beautiful Abigail! I can't believe how big and grown up she is...
Amazing job on the dress. I can't sew (I have it out with the bobbin every time!) I am impressed! I'll be she loves it.

Shanna said...

Ahh- straight lines are the best! With quilting, that is all you do!

Erika, she really is growing up! The "styling" of the dress was all her- the pigtails with turquoise ponytail holders, the bag, boots, and stocking were all her idea- so cute!

You mentioned bobbin problems- do you have a Singer? The problem might be the machine! My Singer was AWFUL and I always got these crazy nests and tension issues. Try Brother- they make great machines for only about $100.

erika said...

ha ha sadly I don't even own a machine (anymore) - I bet it was a Singer I've used bc I could never get it right. I might have to try out a Brother, thanks for the tip.
And that is so cute of what a little fashionista Abigail is!

Cecilee said...

Good job Shanna! I like the color. Really pretty and springy!

Valeni said...

So cute...congratulations on making something for Abigail. I liked your post on ""Create the life you want" too. That has inspired me! Thanks for being YOU..you are great.

ali said...

I love it! What a great little dress!