Monday, June 25, 2012

Transit of Venus

Were you able to see the transit of Venus this year?  Basically once every hundred years or so Venus passes directly between the earth and the sun.  You can see a little tiny circle pass in front of the sun, and know that you are looking at the planet Venus. 

We decided to view this spectacular event from the top of our favorite place, Stone Mountain.  The Atlanta Astrononmy club was there, with many super fancy telescopes that they very generously allowed everyone to look through and watch the event!
 The Astronomy club members were so great about answering questions and telling us so many details about what we were looking at.  There were enough people there to make it fun, but not so many that it was crowded at all.
 They even gave us free solar glasses so we could look directly at the sun without going blind.  I have to admit that I'm not all that fascinated by atronomical things, and I really doubted that I would be able to see anything, but all of us actually were able to see it!  It was pretty cool to have that experience!
 We also stayed for the laser show afterward, which meant a picnic and some play time on the big lawn. 
 Abigail and Aidan took advantage of the background music to entertain me with a dance party!  It was pretty great!

 Jack kept his Daddy busy with non-stop football catching!  He never tires of that game!

1 comment:

colleensewnsew said...

Thanks for inviting me -- I doubt I'll be around for the next one, so now I can say I saw Venus. I also had fun with the picnic and laser show.