Monday, July 9, 2012

Half way there!

I am officially just over half way on my pregnancy!  And maybe more than half, since my doctor is pretty convinced I will deliver early (he is "hoping" I make it to 35 weeks or so). 

I gotta say, I am loving this part of pregnancy!  The 2nd trimester is every bit as fun as everyone said it would be!  The first few months were pretty miserable for me.  I was nauseous and sick 24/7.  Eating was miserable, and not eating was miserable.  I think now it was hormones (that lovely catch-all for female emotions), but my emotions were all over the place- mainly hovering around depression and despair and extreme crankiness. 

In contrast, once the nausea and sickness went away, my moods also stabilized (as much as they can when a female is pregnant, anyway), and I am feeling great!  Food is once again a source of happiness, and I love having a big apetite and being able to indulge it without worry!  My biggest craving is ice cream, and I make sure to indulge it often! 

The funnest part so far was finding out the gender!  Kydon and I went together to the ultrasound together.  We were so happy when we found out- it was exactly what we had been hoping and hoping for!  Then we came home to tell the kids......

 I filled up 3 green balloons with confetti and glitter, then we let the kids each pop a balloon to see what color it would be:
 PINK!
 It's a GIRL!
 One child was super, duper happy and excited!
Two children were super, duper sad- one wouldn't even look at the camera!  At one point, Aidan, almost in tears, said "Now we are having a GIRL baby, AND I'm covered in PINK glitter!"  Oh, adding insult to injury!  He was sad for a while, but I think they are getting used to the idea!

I also felt the baby move for the first time this past week.  It was amazing, and definately made me excited to have a little baby around!  So far everyone is growing and stable- the baby and the two gigantic fibroids that were supposed to be removed this summer before we got our surprise.  They can cause major problems, bursting or twisting or other unpleasant things, but so far they are just hanging out and growing and thriving with all the extra estrogen around.  I am only 21 weeks or so, but because of the fibroids I measure 35 weeks, so I am looking very very pregnant.  Another little perk of being so big (I kind of like being so big, can you tell?) is all the extra attention I get!  I never carry things or open my own doors anymore, and I always get the comfy chair to sit in!  I love the instant bond with other women and the stories and sympathy they share with me. 

Usually when people ask about me, the first question (if the kids aren't with me), is to ask if it is my first.  I love to respond by saying "Well, it is my first pregnancy, but my 4th child- we adopted 3 children, and after 15 years of infertility, we got this surprise!"  You would not believe how happy people get to hear about it- many times perfect strangers have burst into tears and hugged me because of their happiness!  I love having this instantanous connection to other women, and no shortage of things to talk about.  I am naturally rather shy and quiet, so it is nice to be able to have something so fun to talk about!

The kids continue to be excited and adorable about the whole thing- patting and rubbing my belly, kissing the baby goodnight, and saying very funny things about what life will be like once she is here.  I love that part of it most of all- to see their wonder and excitement about this process.  I'm starting to understand a little bit those who say they enjoy pregnancy- this part is definately enjoyable!

6 comments:

colleensewnsew said...

We are so excited for your little girl -- I know Jack and Aidan will love her once she comes. I still remember how great Russ was with Lisa and how he watched over her and was very protective of her, even though she wasn't a boy!

Cecilee said...

Hi Shanna!! Thanks so much for sharing the update and picture. It is so fun to see you pregnant... and I am so sorry that you measure 35 weeks already!! Oh my! Its like you are carrying multiples or something.

I am so glad you have hit the "fun" part of pregnancy. It is the most amazing experience and I'm glad you get to have it. I am still super excited about it all and can't wait to see your little girl!

Katie said...

I'm so excited for you! You look so cute with your big pregnant belly! (hope that wasn't offensive, it was said with the most love and joy imaginable:) But poor Aidan, a girl AND glitter, and the sad truth is that since it's a girl the pink glitter thing probably won't get any better for many many years.

Shanna said...

No offense, Katie! I kind of love having a big pregnant belly! :)

Caroline said...

I'll have to start knitting scarves ,headbands,and hats !!!!!
I have something for abigal so come over sometime
πŸ’…πŸ’†πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒ·πŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸŒΈπŸŒΈπŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚

the Villamor's said...

so you are having triplets! ha ha ha. Has anyone commented that adoption cures infertility yet?
I still think it is so weird that you are pregnant! So excited for you and your 3 cute kids!!