Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Only Thing I Kept

Thinking we were done with babies, I gave away all of our baby things, and all of our kid things as they outgrew them.  I am not one to keep things around, and it never made sense to have a bunch of baby stuff laying around.  There was one thing, however, that I just couldn't get rid of- my baby sling.

 It takes up almost zero space, and I just loved it so much I couldn't part with it.  So, luckily I still have that around for this next one.  The number one question I get lately is if I am buying things for the baby, and the answer is "no".  I have collected a few things, but really I'm not buying things, and I'm not setting up a nursery, and I really don't feel like we need anything.
 2 women from church gave me a bag of clothing, so I have a bin of clothes and onesies all washed and sorted and set to go.  I consider the "bag sleepers" essential, so I would have bought some, but one of the bags contained several baby bag sleepers- all set!  Consider clothing checked off!
 If you've read this blog for any amount of time, you know I love to quilt.  I started this quilt about 7 or 8 years ago, and just worked on it here and there.  I just was in love with the pattern and colors, and just made it for no reason.  I finally finished it a year or so ago, and it has just been sitting in a closet- too small to use, and too loved to give away.
 Well, it now has the perfect purpose- a baby quilt for my little one.  Consider the quilt checked off!
 I haven't been in any mood to craft or sew since I've been pregnant, and I really didn't have any plans to make anything at all.  But Kydon needed a baby gift for someone at work, so I made a receiving blanket with a matching burp cloth.  I was in the store, buying the fabric, and felt super guilty that I was making something for someone else's baby and not my own, so I bought this pink flannel and made one for each of us.  Blanket, burp cloths, and something I made- triple check off!
Kydon's sister generously gave us this gorgeous blessing dress- it was exactly what I would have chosen if I had shopped for it myself, and I am in love with it.  I thought it would be super cute with a bonnet, but didn't feel like making one.  Luckily I thought of Etsy, and now an adorable lace bonnet is on the way (the bonnet is one of the very few things I have purchased for this little one).  Check off the blessing outfit!

We've also been given a carseat and a pack and play, so those are checked off as well.

I told Kydon of my intentions to not buy anything, and he was mostly supportive.  He did request a bouncy seat, which I also thought was a good idea, and I was able to score one at the thrift store for $6!  I love a good bargain!  I took it home and gave it a scrubbing, so it is all set to go.

Eventually we will need a crib... a neighbor gave me a mattress, so that is set, and we will just get the crib when we need it.  I have no plans to buy or use a stroller- I think the sling will do just fine.

There was only one more essential item that I have been searching for- it had to be just right....
A new purse for me, of course!  Big enough to hold a few baby things (I will not be carrying a diaper bag), and still smallish and cute.  It was more difficult than I would have thought, but just this week I found the perfect one!  Now I have a new purse and baby prep is officially complete!

I plan to keep it pretty simple for this one, knowing that she will outgrow things every few months!  I also just don't want to spend a lot knowing it is *for sure* our last one!  I hope I'm not crazy, thinking I just don't need anything, but I feel such a calm and peace thinking that we can just get by without a lot of things.  What do you think?  Am I crazy or just keeping it simple??  Is there anything my "essentials"  list is missing?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Way to keep things simple. :) Love the purse. I've needed a new one for awhile, but haven't found one that I love enough to spend the $$ on. You counting down yet?