Thursday, March 28, 2013

My Grandma

A few weeks ago, after a devastating battle with a brain tumor, my dear Grandma passed away.  While I am happy that her suffering is at an end, I will miss her terribly, and have been flooded with thoughts of how wonderful she was, and how much I have learned from her.  Next week we will head to my mom's house and the kids will all hunt for Easter eggs, a tradition started by her and one of my very favorite memories of my childhood.

She was very selfless, never seeking any recognition or spotlight, always happiest when she could be quietly in the background, making food, smoothing the way so that others could enjoy themselves.  Some of my favorite words of wisdom from my Grandma:

-She was famous for her cooking, and her pies at Thanksgiving always got rave reviews.  When I got married, she told me to just use the refrigerated pie crusts- she told me that no one would know the difference, and if anybody asked, I could tell them it was my Grandma's recipe!

- She always said that if you were a stay-at-home-mom, that it was your responsibility to do your job and do it well.  She told me to think of it as any other out of the home job, and wake up on time, and do the work.  There have been innumerable days in my life as a mom that I have been motivated and encouraged by her advice, and gotten up out of bed and did my job because of her words.

More than anything else, she loved each and every person in her family, and each and every person felt of that love.  I certainly felt it growing up, and even my husband and children, despite living many thousands of miles away and only seeing her occasionally, they all felt of her love for them.  When she passed, Kydon remarked that he rarely felt as loved by anyone as he did by her.  I left her funeral with a renewed determination to love my family more, to serve them more, and to be more selfless than I have.

The day after her surgery for the aggressive brain tumor, calls were going around the family fast and furious that she was not doing well, and we were all tearful and anxious and worriedly waiting for any news.  My doorbell rang, and there, sitting on my front porch was a package.  Inside was a beautiful baby quilt for my newest daughter, born just 1 month before.  Hand quilted by my Grandma, and sent to us by my Aunt.  I will never forget that her last few months were spent the way that her entire life was spent- despite pain and headache and physical discomfort that she dealt with most of her life, her energy and time and effort was always thinking of others, seeking to show her love to them, trying to serve them.  She loved each and every new baby, and I know she would have been delighted to meet my sweet Clara.

My grandma is in a better place now, and we are all better for having known and loved her.

1 comment:

Jessica Scott said...

I love your blog! The design is soooo pretty! This was also a very heartwarming post. I lost my wonderful Granny 6 years ago and I still miss her every day. But you have an amazing attitude about your loss. I'll be visiting this blog again.

Jessica Scott
jessicaslife81.blogspot.com